Exterior door standard size 2085mm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm about to buy a new door for my house and would like to go down the self buy/fit option. However having measured the frame (following guides online of brick to brick) it is just over 2000mm (can't remember the exact measurement right now).

And all the pre-hung doors in the shops such as Wickes, B&Q etc seem to have a standard height of 2085mm.
Am I just unlucky to have a small door opening or is this normal?

Any help appreciated, if required I will go down the bespoke sized door route but obviously this is more expensive. To give you some idea the house is a basic 1930's terraced.

Sponsored Links
A standard or typical external opening size is 2100mm. This is what we work to or try and achieve when setting out door and window lintel heights.

Yours is a wee bit on the shallow side but is doable with either a made to measure upvc fella or....

...you could remove another course of bricks below the existing sill level, and site the door so that it can still open in and clear the floor plus carpet or tiles etc. If it opens out then no danger. Or you could remove two courses then bed back a brick on edge so that you end up gaining an extra 40mm or so, depending upon how it all works with existing internal floor levels.

Thanks for the reply. We have a bit of room to play with as it's a step down into the house. But the door does open inwards so I'll have to see just how much space we do actually have.

Fingers crossed we can get one from Wickes as there are some nice looking doors on 15% off at the moment.

Sponsored Links
Bespoke sized doors aren't as dear as you'd think if you go to the right place

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back