Exterior doors checklist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

New here, could use someone looking over a spec for me please.

I have a joiner coming over to fit some external doors to outbuildings and he is working labour only. I need to supply the materials.

They are single doors apart from one which I want to do as a pair, uneven splt.

I am ordering:

Jeldwen FLB doors
150 x 50 planed timber for the frames
32 x 12 for the stops
4" steel hinges, 3 per door
Suffolk latch for the non-secure doors
Codelock for the pair of doors (lead door)
Slide bolt for second door.

Have I missed anything?

Sponsored Links
Need door casings for external door if they are to be secure. :?:
Don't know what the external door quality is like but returned a dozen internal jeld-wen doors as they all failed.
Surface slide bolt? not very secure for a pair of doors.

lots and lots of wood preserver, especially for the frames, which are probably unreated softwood and are going to be sawn and drilled.

You might start treating them before the chippy arrives, as long as they will be dry when he starts to handle them. You will have to re-treat the sawn surfaces, at least.

I would soak the ends in Cuprinol, and ask him not to saw off the treated ends which will be nearest the ground.

As the doors are external, I would use stainless hinges and screws, to avoid rust. I prefer lift-off hinges.

Mortice/rackbolts are better. For outbuildings, I like padbolts.

lots and lots of wood preserver, especially for the frames, which are probably unreated softwood and are going to be sawn and drilled.

You might start treating them before the chippy arrives, as long as they will be dry when he starts to handle them. You will have to re-treat the sawn surfaces, at least.

I would soak the ends in Cuprinol, and ask him not to saw off the treated ends which will be nearest the ground.

As the doors are external, I would use stainless hinges and screws, to avoid rust. I prefer lift-off hinges.

Mortice/rackbolts are better. For outbuildings, I like padbolts.

They are all going to be painted.

I have spotted a potential problem though, the openings are not standard sizes. The double ones have an opening 1430 wide by 1870 tall. The standard size seems to be 1981 which would mean 111mm to be taken off the doors. That seems like a lot.

In terms of security, the doors will be behind automated gates and we are in a rural low-crime area.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back