External boiler water pipes on outside wall - freezing risk?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We're getting quotes to replace our (internal) smelly, old Myson Velair oil boiler with a new, external oil-fired combi boiler.

The difficulty is that the site for the new boiler is one room away from the current boiler, and will require a fair amount of pipe re-routing.

Most of the people that have quoted for our new boiler have said they would have to run the pipes around the inside of our downstairs bedroom and out through the wall, into the boiler at close to ground level. This means we'll have lots of pipes to box in in the bedroom, which might look a bit naff.

One quotation, however, is from someone that will run all of our pipes through the loft (it's a single story extension, so loft is on top of ground floor), then dropping down from (single story) roof height, on the *outside* of our external wall, into the boiler. While this means that we won't have any ugly pipes to box in indoors, I am a bit worried that the external pipes might freeze in the winter. Am I worrying unnecessarily? He said he'll insulate the pipes and box them in, and he doesn't seem to think it's an issue.

I'd love to hear from anyone with experience of whether this is a good/bad idea before we spend a lot of money doing the wrong thing!

Sponsored Links
It's not ideal but with correct insulation, boxing and access i don't see an issue. Depending on boiler type fitting a frost stat my be required but as long as the flow/return pipe lengths are kept to minimum it should be ok. You do have a choice tho......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back