External cable

Sponsored Links
I'll join in the asking of questions:

Winston, how do you KNOW that it would not be feasible to take a larger supply to that point on the external wall of the house in the future in order to supply a larger load in the garden, and therefore how do you KNOW that there is no point in having a larger external cable installed now?

Another silly question. The OP said it was going to be spurred off an existing outside socket. He did not say anything about a new supply to that point. Get real and stop making silly suggestions.

We are not talking about the future, we are talking about some lights and a couple of sockets NOW. No one can predict the future so no point in guessing.

Sponsored Links
Calm down gents. I don’t know any further answers I’m afraid. So on your advice, I have ordered the ducting!

^^ I agree I would like to future proof as much as is reasonable/possible. So the ducting was a great suggestion! As clearly it was not as simple as putting a ‘big’ cable as I first imagined! Thank you

^^ I agree I would like to future proof as much as is reasonable/possible. So the ducting was a great suggestion! As clearly it was not as simple as putting a ‘big’ cable as I first imagined! Thank you
You're welcome. I hope it all goes well.

Kind Regards, John

You aren't.

But not everybody is as short-sighted as you.

Some people think that future proofing is a valid concept.

Indeed.

So stop predicting that the OP will never need a larger cable, and stop guessing that there is no point in him thinking about whether to install a larger one now to minimise the risks of it becoming useless in the future.

My crystal ball has gone on the blink but I'm pretty sure last time it worked it said that in the future mains voltage will be 500v at 100Hz, so it seems a smaller cable would be OK!

This thread is confusing. The `electrician` can't be contacted but has been texting info. I am off to Mexico in 3 weeks and I pass on calls to a mate.

Nobody has determined the load and post 29 was the first asking about the current circuit. The length of the garden just came up in passing, as did the external DSO.

I'd be looking to design the circuits properly. A DSO is pretty limiting starting point for 2 circuits.

Sunshine - you should PM Winston, as you need to get his contact details as you've got to get him to sign this declaration on an EIC:

I being the person responsible for the design of the electrical installation (as indicated by my signature below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the design hereby CERTIFY that the said work for which I have been responsible is to the best of my knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008, amended to 2015 except for the departures, if any, detailed as follows:

You also need him to put some sort of warranty in place to cover the costs of replacing the cable if it turns out not to be large enough.

This is ridiculous. Absolutely none of the advice posted in here constitutes design. Even if the op follows advice, there would be no legal standing for an EIC written in absentia.

For what it's worth, and particularly since you're about to have landscaping done, I would personally either put in a duct or else use SWA appreciably larger than 2.5mm² - since it's amazing how many people come fairly soon to think of a reason why the need significantly more electricity in their garden/shed/whatever than they originally thought would ever be needed!

Kind Regards, John

Just wondering why BAS has not jumped up to ask how you are going to sign of the design? Or is that just a Winston requirement?

Hundreds?

How long is the garden?

True, if you want to be able to switch the lights on from the house end.

4-core cable is an alternative. Or 5, if you think you might want two sets of lights, or lights and a water feature pump.

How are you going to sign off the design for this installation?

Just wondering why BAS has not jumped up to ask how you are going to sign of the design? Or is that just a Winston requirement?
As you quoted, what I said was about "what I would personally do". Even if you chose to regard that as 'advice', I don't think that anyone could seriously regard "... put in a duct or else use SWA appreciably larger than 2.5mm² " as being meaningful 'design' - so I think that a lot more actual design work would need to be done before the question of any "signing off of a design" arose (and the same goes for BAS's comment about "4-core or 5-core" cable that you have asked the same question about).

More generally, technically speaking, any electrical work should result in a certificate which includes a declaration relating to design - so do I take it that you feel that no-one who comes here and asks for advice about "how to do something" should be answered?

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back