Wiring a New Outdoor Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guy's,

I'm needing a wee bit of advice.

I am wanting to wire up my Garden shed with power but getting conflicting advice from Electricians.

My garage at the moment has a spur I have taken off of my main house circuit and I was going just to 'tap into' this spur for my shed.

I know I have to use armoured cable (4.0mm 3 core) with warning tape as I'm putting underground, but I'm not sure the best way to connect to the existing socket.

Connecting to my shed is not problem as it goes into a metal box.

At this time I would have to drill and external hole to get the wire through but I'm not sure the best way to connect armoured cable into my existing ring.

Oh yeah - where is it best to place the RCD? and does it have to be a specific one for outdoors?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
An RCD should go at the supply end of any cable if not protected at the CU. BUT all this work comes under the dreaded "part P" so you would be better off getting a local REGISTERED sparks in, he will(should) know all the requirements.AND IT WILL BE CHEAPER.

Luckily Enough I stay in Scotland where the regulations are a little more relaxed.

What would be the best RCD socket for the shed? roughly how much does it cost, plus the best way to connect the armoured cable to my existing spur.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
My garage at the moment has a spur I have taken off of my main house circuit and I was going just to 'tap into' this spur for my shed.
The first thing you'll have to do is to make it a fused spur if it isn't already.

I know I have to use armoured cable (4.0mm 3 core)
Is the shed 30m or more from the CU?

with warning tape as I'm putting underground, but I'm not sure the best way to connect to the existing socket.
Replace the garage socket with a surface mounted metalclad one - you'll be able to gland the SWA into the backbox with ease.

At this time I would have to drill and external hole to get the wire through but I'm not sure the best way to connect armoured cable into my existing ring.
Existing ring ==> FCU ==> Garage socket ==> SWA to shed

Oh yeah - where is it best to place the RCD?
In the CU so that it covers all your sockets.

and does it have to be a specific one for outdoors?
Why is it going outdoors?

What would be the best RCD socket for the shed?
Don't put it there.

Existing ring ==> RCD FCU ==> Garage socket ==> SWA to shed

roughly how much does it cost
http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&hl=en-GB&ie=UTF-8&q=rcd+fcu

Hi Ban-all-sheds,

I'm putting power to my Gardern shed as my garage has been converted into a lined room as an extention to my house. Basically a kids ply area.

The Shed is only 2m's from the garage, so it only has a path dividing it.

Thanks

So why do you think you need 4mm² cable?

How do you plan to test the work to prove that it's safe, BTW?

This was the information given to me by a qualified electrician that was fitting an outlet for my new boiler from Scottish Gas.

He said it would have to be 4mm 3 core, into a metal box containing an RCD.

I was loking for verification before going ahead with the job.

How to test? - plug something in - if it doesn't go bang and it has power. I'm guessing it works :)

How to test? - plug something in - if it doesn't go bang and it has power. I'm guessing it works :)

WRONG. The something might work but it might be dangerous due to lack of effective earth wiring to protect in the case of a fault.

Im Kidding - it will be fully insulated and up to code using proper equipment.

It will be properly tested and checked by my cousin who is a qualified electrician, but he just doesn't have the time to do the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back