External Electricity Box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please bear with me as I kow very little about DIY or electrics...

I have an edwardian terrace and in the back yard there is a electrical unit that is connected to the ground via a thick cable.

the unit is housed in a box at around head height, however, the box has become rotten and fallen down leaving the unit exposed. i need to fit a new box to protect the electricity unit.

apparantly I can get a standard wall mounted box from Jewson.

is it generally safe for me to fit the box around the unit myself ? I have no intention of actually fiddling with the mains unit but am concerned about the danger of drilling near to an electricity supply

Sponsored Links
"unit"

Like a socket? Or a fusebox? Or a switch? Or an incoming service connection? Or a meter? Or a lamp?

A description or, better, a photo would be a great help.

at work at moment so unfortunately can't get a pic.

its definitely not a socket, fusebox, switch, meter or lamp

it could well be an incoming service connection. would that take power from the mains and then connect it the fusebox in the house ?

It's possible, but it's very unusual to have a wooden box outside a building; unless there was formerly a lean-to or other building that has since been demolished.

A service head might sometimes be cast iron, approx. "T" shaped, or it might be a rectangular hard plastic assembly in black or light grey. The iron ones have often been replaced by now even on old cables.

If it is the incoming supply, you would not be able to isolate it to make safe while you took it off the wall to get a new enclosure behind it, so you would probably need to contact your supplier to fit an enclosure. Some very old cables are covered with rubber, tar or old plastics, or sheathed in lead, and can crack if disturbed.

It might possible be an outdoor thing and weatherproof on its own, but if you can put up a pic or a description someone will recognise it.

BTW unless you have a back alley, it's not very common to have the supply coming to the back of the house, usually they run in the road/under the pavement. There is a possibility that the cable is from the fusebox to an outbuilding, shed, workshop, air-raid shelter, garden fountain or sauna. Is there/has there been anything like that in the yard?

Sponsored Links
thanks for the help. your description of the "unit" is very acurate. it does have a plastic t shaped section with wires coming out of it and the cable that connects it to the ground is coated with rubber.

its very likely that that here has been a lean to or shed in the backyard at some point and that would explain the now rotten wooden box.

I contacted my electricity provider and they said it wasn't their repsonsibility and I should ring a joiner / electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back