External Render / Plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I've just moved into a house which has a slightly dodgey extension. I don't like the term extension, I prefer the term brick shack ! It's basically a utility room, about 10 foot by 10 foot, bottom half (3.5 foot ish) breeze block, top half timber with a sloping felt roof.. Oh, and there are a couple of doors thrown in there too.

The external exposed breeze block effect looks completely naff so I want to cover it up. I dont mind how, but I was thinking some kind of external render or plaster... Help..!!! I have no idea how to do this...

Cheers

M.

Sponsored Links
I am no expert but I would have thought a standard sand and cement render followed by a coat of exterior paint would suit you fine. I beleive you want 5:1 sand/cement mix for the undercoat ("scratch coat") followed by 6:1 for the top coat. Finish it off with a plasterers float for a perfect finish. Obvioulsy you wouldnt use plaster as its not for outdoor use. Ohh and be careful about the DPC, if there is one. Might need to put waterproofer in the mix so you dont breach it, or something.

This could be done by competant DIYer but I would have thought you should call in a general builder. A plasterer might also be happy to give you a quote on this.

Grow some plants up the wall for a cottagey final effect?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back