External timber, Dulux or Sikkens, advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a 1930's mock tudor house and need to paint the black wood again. I am in a row of several houses and they face north. The front of these properties, ie the garden areas always appears to be a little damp compared with the back gardens and the front render seems to suffer quicker than it should, blackening and flaking a little and needing repainting after only 2 to 3 years but I think I have sorted out what we are doing about that, it is now the timber between the white areas I need to decide how to deal with. I am trying to select a paint of an above average quality that will last a bit longer than what has been used in the past as the timber flakes after 2 to 3 years, more than I would expect, thats why I explain the bit above to illustrate that the front suffers a tougher environment.

Sikkens has been suggested to me and I understand it has some sort of rubber content, would this be a better paint than a Dulux to use?

Or what would you suggest to give me a longer lasting finish on the front?

Sponsored Links
South side of houses get more weathered and usually paint systems break down quicker on the south side. The north side is probably damper because it has less sunshine, by the time the sun has any heat to it its on its way round to the south side.

Sikkens is better than dulux by a mile but there are other alternatives such as bedec, they do a multi surface paint, masonary paint and a barn paint, all are tough and long lasting providing preparation is good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back