External wall movement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm after some opinions on the below issue. Apologies if this is not in the correct area as it is also related to the roof.

I recently brought an early 1900's mid terrace house that has suffered from some movement to the rear external wall on the upper level. Here are a couple of photos to show the location and uneven brickwork, you can also see that this is affecting the neighbouring property across the party wall.

upload_2022-1-31_12-59-34.png
upload_2022-1-31_13-1-20.png

Hard to se from the second photo but the neighbours window cill area is not straight as the wall is bulged.

This was picked up by my mortgage lender before the purchase and as a result a building survey was required. The survey detailed that the cause was due to the roof frame spreading open around 40mm which had then pushed the rear wall outwards. It also mentioned that a previous repair was attempted in the way of the large steel wall brace/tie (as seen in the above pictures) that is then ran through the length of house and connected to the front external wall. However, the previous repair was done without proper investigation of the root cause and as a result the roof has continued to spread which is why the brickwork around the wall brace has been pushed further, creating quite an unsightly look to that area of the wall.

Here are a few pictures of the party wall within the roof which clearly shows that something has moved (this has since been taken down and completed with a fire rated stud wall).

upload_2022-1-31_13-25-43.png

upload_2022-1-31_13-26-8.png

The survey recommended that the roof is reinforced with 2x6 timbers spanning from the lower portion of the rafter (bolted to), across the entire roof to the oppose rafter, as close to the wall plates as possible. This is to be done in 4 places, the rafters next to each party wall and then 2 evenly placed in the middle of the roof. This should then stop the roof from spreading open any further. I am currently half way through this job and should have it complete within the next week or so (I have connected one side so far).

While this should solve the root cause and prevent any further damage from happening, the issue of the pushed out wall is still something that I ideally need to deal with and this is where it gets a bit tricky.

The survey simply said that I should have the wall repointed to seal any cracks/missing mortar. As I have begun to strip the plaster from the internal walls and had a chance to get outside to inspect the damage close up, I have noticed that the wall appears to be bowing/leaning lower down to where I would expect if the roof was the main cause. Now I'm in no way trying to say that I know more than the surveyors but I do wonder if they missed some things, some of which may have been hard to see with their limited access/time.

My first example is the area of the wall alongside the upstairs window (to the left). This is leaning at an angle and has a difference of almost 50mm from bottom to top. At the window lintel it suddenly stops and then appears that the wall goes back to the original placement, this is around 3-4 brick courses before the roof/wall plate. This is also very clear when looking the the way the window has been installed to try and hide the difference between each edge as the middle of the house has no signs of movement, only the corner next to the party wall on one side (look at the lintel/window line).

upload_2022-1-31_13-31-6.png

Stripping off the plaster from inside also shows the same amount of deflection, again the wall suddenly resumed an almost original position towards the very top. As above, I'm not trying to suggest that the surveyor was wrong but if the roof spread had caused this then wouldn't the wall be more outward at the very top and then slowly close up towards the bottom? Or maybe this is just how they tend to go?

upload_2022-1-31_13-32-44.png

(note there is remnants of an old chimney in the corner of the room as seen above, this is about where the wall plate mounts too on the other side).

Finally, I don't really have a picture to show this but the downstairs wall (same location) is also leaning, although at less of an angle. This could just be wonky plastering but I thought I would mention it.

My question is around how to correct this? I have heard a few different options from either trying to straighten up a few of the worse looking bricks, all the way to rebuilding that section of the wall . The problem here is that I don't have much knowledge of how to achieve this so would need to enlist a professional however, any advice or pointers would be much appreciated so I know what to ask for.

It seems that the neighbours are not too concerned about it as they have recently built a single story extension onto the rear of their house which moulds around the bowed wall. They also don't have a wall tie/brace which may have caused more damage that good..

Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
Instruct a structural engineer. You need to know if the movement is ongoing, if so deal with that, and then how to deal with the condition. You are unlikely to be able to correct things back to how they were, but just make them good. Lintels should be replaced with proprietary steel lintels suitable for the wall type.

Sponsored Links
Instruct a structural engineer. You need to know if the movement is ongoing, if so deal with that, and then how to deal with the condition. You are unlikely to be able to correct things back to how they were, but just make them good. Lintels should be replaced with proprietary steel lintels suitable for the wall type.
this but with concrete lintels as per next door.
You should have done the se bit before attacking the roof.

Yes, if the OP does not give a toss about how it looks. o_O
think it’s a bit late for that . besides it’s as per existing. and it’ll look the same as the others in the street and almost a quarter of the price.

OK, probably best not to look like the snobby one in the road with proper lintels :rolleyes:

Thanks for the responses guys. I will look to get a structural surveyors opinion. I tackled the roof first as it was relatively low cost and was heavily recommended in the original building survey. The surveyor did also mention that he doesn't think the wall has moved in a very long time so I'm not overly worried (the old and purposely uneven interior decor also points to this), I just want to try and tidy it up a bit before the walls are recovered.etc. Concrete lintels may be an option as the windows will be replaced at some point in the near future so makes sense to do them amongst a long list of other things..

Update on this for anyone who's interested.

Had a builder take a look and just as some people on here had recommended, they advised a new lintel spanning across both windows and then for the wall to be partially rebuilt. Had to get building regulators out for approval, decided to go with a concrete lintel on the inner skin which means that the original wood one could be reused on the outside to preserve the look/theme of the property (neighbours are all the same). Catnic/steel across both skins was the alternative but about 4x the cost.

What remained of original chimney was also removed during the process. This was speculated as being part of the cause for wall cracking/movement as it was uncovered that the upper stack was only supported on a single floor joist and looked to leaning against the external wall (it had previously been taken down on the ground floor). The party wall is also not stitched/embedded into the external wall, instead it was relying on the chimney to tie it all together.

IMG-1784.jpg IMG-1783.jpg IMG-1778.jpg

Just need to get new windows sorted and original lintel repainted. You can see some of the bowing on the neighbours side more now, but that's not my problem.

Cheers,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back