Extra fusebox or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have built an annex on my house. This is a serious annex more like a one bedroom flat. It has a bathroom, bedroom and lounge, kitchen, diner, combo. My question is should I just run two new rings and one for the cooker from my current fuse box (fitted last year, with capacity) or add an extra an fuse box. My nature wish would be to fit an extra fuse box., but what size cable would I need to use to join the two? It’s about 20m away from the current box.

Max.

Sponsored Links
if the annex is going to be a fairly seperate place then its best its as independent of your wiring as possible so i'd do the following.

split tails after meter but before CU with henly blocks. then 25mm tails and 16mm earth to a 60A switchfuse (http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WY108.html) and then 16mm T&E to new CU.

if you wan't a meter in the annex then slot a plastic adaptable box and butt it up against the bottom of the meter to avoid exposing single insulated cores where the 16mm T&E joins the new meter.

i'd like to add that unless you are very confident i would advise against pulling the service fuse to split the tails yourself. you are supposed to call the DNO to connect and disconnect but most sparks just pull it themselves.

if you do decide to pull it yourself then make sure all CU main switches are off when removing and reinserting the fuse. tripple check your wiring. be carefull to only touch plastic parts of the fuseholder and finally if the fuseholder looks in any way damaged do not touch it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back