Extra Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got a double power socket in my kitchen it has two cables going into it,I would like to add an extra double and also a single socket is this safe.

Sponsored Links
NO you can add the double socket but not the single as that would be spuring off a spur

Thanks sparky..Could you answer me another problem ? .I have got a cooker switch which is no longer needed can I make that into a double power point, would I have to change the fuse in the fuse box and would it be ok to leave the existing cable in..

Fibro

Sponsored Links
How would I go about doing that.I would like to do it myself but am not up on electrics.

fit a twin socket on the end of the cable (use existing cable) and change the fuse to a 32a

Thanks Breezer..could I add more than one power point and what would be the limit..

you could try. the cooker cable will be 6mm (probably) you will not get two 6mm cables into the back of one socket (ok maybe you will but it will not be worth the grief, then you have to push the socket back into the patress)

Yes I understand what you mean it would be difficult..I have just looked in my fuse box..I have one cooker 30 amp one 30 amp power two 15 amp and 2 5 amp..I know 5 amp is lights and 15amp power points but what is the 30 amp power for.

YES its safe if the extra double socket is connected as a ring socket then the single socket can be a spur socket. Only one socket can be a spur.

sde1969, i know what you mean but i bet fibro doesnt (no offence fibro) and we (myself and fibro) are refering to his redundant cooker supply, not the existing socket, c'mon keep up.

Fibro the other 30a fuse is very probably for the other sockets you have in the house, they will be on a ring

Thanks Breezer was side 1969 saying I could add a single spur socket to the redundant cooker socket that would be the new bouble socket ..I am fitting a new kitchen I can do most things but gas and electric I am not sure off..

Breezer yes I understand that now the other 15 amp I noticed goes out to my garage into a seperate fuse box then on to my power points in there

fibro, yes you can put one socket on to your redundant cooker switch, but only the one will fit, but NO you can not spur from the existing cooker point

(technically you can, but there are a few reasons why you can not.)

you should spur using the same size cable (6mm but two will not fit) you can downrate the fuse but the problem is if some one changes it back, it WILL happen, the new cable will catch fire should anything go wrong.

there is nothing to stop you removing the old cooker cable all together and putting in a new ring, that way you can have as many sockets as you like.

sde1969 was refering to your existing sockets not your cooker.

also to keep the forum tidy you see that little "edit" button, if you click on that you can add or change somethig to the post you have made even after you have "posted it"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back