Extracor fan and mytery wiring...

laf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The old extractor fan in bathroom died so removed it and replaced it with new one (Oracstar EAV 1000 (SI)). Followed instructions. Now it comes on (and stays on interminably, forever) when light is switched off and goes off when light is on - not very useful.

In the fan itself, there are only two connectors available - live and neutral. I connected red wire from cable to the live one, and blue to neutral with the above results. Also available is yellow wire.

What should I do to make the fan come on with the light? :?: PLEASE help!

Sponsored Links
So your new fan is not a timer fan.

Have you tested the three conductors (R, Y, B) to see what they do?

Blue may not necessarily be neutral. Red may not necessarily be live. Check it out. Safely.........

laf,
I too am an amature ... only desire to repair not redesign.
In your situation, taking all the normal precautions, trace the wiring back to source .. Should not be too difficult... to find neutral : live and switched live.
Big mistake, remove appliance without noting connections (write it down !), fixings etc.
Don't disconnect until you have the new, compare the connections .... We only have to think !!
Then of course ... Was it correct in the first place ? .... Got the details? get the forum !!

Good luck.

P

Sponsored Links
Instructions say (and I quote) "Make electrical connections as per Fig 2" - needless to say, Fig 2 is blurred and monochrome with no key to wires!

ah.............

call manufacturer for another one (or take it back to where you got it)

Was the old unit a timed fan. It may have been wired to L1 & L2 at the switch with a neutral. Ie you have the fan connected to the light off side of the two way switch.

As was sugested above you need to trace the wiring back. Please be careful to doing this. Isolate the lighting supply at the consumer unit/fuse box before you start unscrewing pull cord fittings etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back