Extractor Fan Wiring Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just bought a basic Extractor fan for my bathroom.
It has not timer or therma.

My flat still has old wiring but when I removed the old broken fan the there are 3 wires. Brown, Blue and Yello/Green.

The fan only has two connection sockets which are marked Live and Neutral.

I wired the Brown to Live socket and Blue to Neutral socket the yello/green wire is redundant as there is no more connector sockets on the fan.

The fan comes on now no problems, but it will not switch off until I cut the power from the fuse box on the lights circuit.

I assumed the fan should come on and off with the Bathtroom light?

What am I doing wrong?

Sponsored Links
Sounds as if you have wired the fan to the permanent live.

You will need to look at the ceiling rose to establish what cables are there and which ones run to the fan itself.

If the fan has no timer then at the ceiling rose establish which cable goes to the fan.
For that cable put the brown into the switch live terminal and the blue in to the neutral terminal. Look at wiki if you are unsure what/where these are.
At the fan put the brown into the live and blue into the neutral - sleeve and tape back the cpc (earth) so that it cannot touch any other cable.
Provided everything else has been wired correctly i.e. the ceiling rose, the switch and any other items on the circuit like a three pole isolator or fused connection unit, then it should work with your light.

If your new fan is just a basic one ie no timer, and the cable consists of only L and N ie no SW L, then what was the old fan like?

Did the old fan have a pull cord on it?
Is the fan wall mounted or ceiling mounted?

Are you certain the earth wire is an earth wire, and not a switched live?
Work safely when determining this, with the power off.
You must only use earth wires for earth only.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice guys tried what you suggested and now have a fully functional fan which switches on and off with the light.

Really pleased, can sleep well tonight!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back