Extractor fan to UK Power Plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Been through 3 forums already today and have finally ended up here, be gentle because I'm not an electrician at all.

I have a bathroom extractor fan that has a live and a neutral connector, how would I connect this to a normal live, neutral and earth plug? Would I just connect the live and neutral accordingly and ignore the earth?

Kind regards.

Sponsored Links
Not sure its possible or permissible under the regs.

Can you post a photo of the fan or describe the make and model

Blup

I have a bathroom extractor fan that has a live and a neutral connector, how would I connect this to a normal live, neutral and earth plug? Would I just connect the live and neutral accordingly and ignore the earth?
Yes - BUT sockets are not allowed within 3m. from (a vertical line from) the edge of a bath or shower.

If, for some reason, you just want the fan to spin whilst mounted on a worktop or something (like you were making some kind of home-made fume extractor to use in your shed for when you are soldering), then yes, albeit with a few safety precautions thrown in.

If you want it to extract moisture from your bathroom, then No.

Sponsored Links
Hi Everyone, thanks for your replies. The fan is an "Xpelair Simply Silent C4S 100mm". All it has is a N (Neutral) and a L (Live) connector on it. It isn't going anywhere near a bath or shower. I just wanted a silent fan to move cooler fair into the attic, not growing anything 'funny' before you ask :D

Am I okay to just put a 3amp fuse in the plug and then wire the live and neutral to the fan and leave the earth doing nothing?

Yes, it isn't going in a bathroom, im cutting a new hatch for the loft and attaching the fan to it to blow air into the attic. I want it to be controlled via a wireless power lead I have, so that i can turn it on and off at will using a remote.

I think i'll just wrap the earth in electrical tape or something equally as 'ghetto' . Thank you all for your help, I'll try it tonight and let you know how I get on.

im cutting a new hatch for the loft and attaching the fan to it to blow air into the attic.
Why?

I want it to be controlled via a wireless power lead I have, so that i can turn it on and off at will using a remote.
Why?

I think i'll just wrap the earth in electrical tape or something equally as 'ghetto' .
Why not use 2-core flex?

FYI - my gut feel is that if you are doing this to keep the temperatures in the loft down because you have IT equipment up there it isn't going to work.

I have placed a fan blowing air out of an up stairs bedroom window, and openning the front door it gives a through draft from cool front of house to read sun bathed side of house, so yes it works.

However although it works in mothers old house, it does not work in my old house, my house just does not get as hot, windows on my house are east west and curtains closed and windows closed it stays cool around 24°C at moment but mothers house still at 27°C it's all down to window type and where they face.

I have realised what works A1 in my house does not work in mothers, her loft is far cooler than mine. Even when house is warmer.

You're putting a 2 core flex into a 3 pin plug? I can't see you've got anything to tape up or tuck out of the way.

in my current house, the loft hatch is on the top landing, and when opened, convection currents suck the air up and out through the eaves, no fan required. The airflow obviously increases greatly if a downstairs door or window is opened, but even natural leakage works.

You can ventilate a bathroom with a ceiling-mounted grill and a "chimney" duct or pipe going straight up, because the water vapour is lighter than air so it rises. It mustn't vent into the loft though, as this would cause damp, it has to go through a vent tile or something.

in my current house, the loft hatch is on the top landing, and when opened, convection currents suck the air up and out through the eaves, no fan required.
I keep mine opened at this time of year. Not to cool the loft, but to allow warm air to escape from the top floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back