Extractor fan not working?

OJB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

I know alot has been put up on the forums about extractor fan questions! However I can't seem to find the answer to my question.

I have put in a new Timer Extractor fan in my bathroom. I have a live feed going to an isolator switch (outside bathroom) with 3 core and earth running to the fan. Also twin and earth running to the light pendent in the bathroom from the isolator switch.

I've wired the pendent as per normal, cable from light switch. Live to pendent live flex and neutral to neutral with the live from isolator switch going into the loop in the pendent and neutral going into the neutral terminal. LIGHT WORKS BUT FAN DOESN'T!!!!

I have now rewired pendent with cable from light switch natural (Black) going next to live flex terminal in the pendent, then the live (red) from LS into the loop terminal. The Live(red) from the isolator switch is now into the loop terminal with the natural (black) going next to the neutral flex terminal of the pendent. FAN WORKS BUT LIGHT DOESN'T!!!!

I feel this could be really obvious but have no idea whats going on! Any help would be greatly received.

[/b]

Sponsored Links
Can you draw a diagram?

Know it's a faff, but I can't work out your diagram from the text.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies folks I will look at the diagram you posted up in more detail PrenticeBoyofDerry.

I've uploaded the diagrams as requested as you will see I've omitted the earth wires for clarity.

Is the switching done in the jb? Pic 1 Looks like the switched live for the fan isn't connected to sl on the right of the rose but if the switching is done in the jb anyway why connect the fan to the light at all? You don't need both neutrals to the isolator just the one from the jb. Please add earths tho just to be sure but the wiki diagram is fairly easy to follow anyway. Pic 2 is so messed up I would delete it!

But looking at diagram 1, you have looped live in to ceiling rose for fan isolator, but there is no feed for this but this would be perm live if a feed was there. It seems that you already have a perm live via another source. So that brown conductor at ceiling rose, should be part of the switching arrangement, so connecting this brown to switch live (brown flex of light), then to SL of isolator should resolve that. Remember to identify you conductors using the appropriate sleeving, for live, neutral and CPC/earth

I assumed the loop is in the JB so it's only a switched live hitting the rose, OP can you clarify? If so, you can forget about the rose wiring and just run 3 core to the JB as everything you need is in there.

Thanks for the replies, just trying to figure out what you've all said before I start to make any changes. I also forgot to say the fan is a timer one.

rjm2k
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:44 pm Post Subject:
Is the switching done in the jb? YES FOR THE LIGHT

Pic 1 Looks like the switched live for the fan isn't connected to sl on the right of the rose but if the switching is done in the jb anyway why connect the fan to the light at all? WANT THE FAN TO COME ON WITH THE LIGHT, BUT IF I DID THIS VIA THE JB THEN RUN THE 3 CORE FROM JB VIA THE ISOLATOR SWITCH WOULD THIS WORK?

WANT THE FAN TO COME ON WITH THE LIGHT, BUT IF I DID THIS VIA THE JB THEN RUN THE 3 CORE FROM JB VIA THE ISOLATOR SWITCH WOULD THIS WORK?
Yes providing that you connect the switch live going to isolator together with that of the switch live to light.
And the permanent live and neutral conductors are also at junction box to take the feed.
Also remember that the junction box, must be left in an accessible location, that can be easily inspected, tested and maintained

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back