Extractor Hood. Same circuit as Cooker.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will have the cooker on 45amp circuit, with 6mm2 twin earth cable. The oven will be on another circuit.

I'm just trying to reduce the amount of cabling that I have to use in the walls.

Can I run the extractor hood from the cooker supply.
It will still have a fused switch to turn it off.

I know it can be done but would it be inline with the rules?

Many thanks

Matt

Sponsored Links
Strictly speaking no as cooker should be on dedicated radial circuit.

In practice providing you can connect from the cooker switch with as short a length as possible of cable to the FCU, and the switch will accommodate a 6mm+2.5mm cable, it's okay.

Strictly speaking no as cooker should be on dedicated radial circuit.
Dedicated does not mean independant.

In practice providing you can connect from the cooker switch with as short a length as possible of cable to the FCU, and the switch will accommodate a 6mm+2.5mm cable, it's okay.
Or from the cooker outlet plate.

I agree with the principal and consider it a good thing to have the hood on the cooker circuit so that all the cooking appliances can be switched off in an emergency.

It prevents a chip pan fire being drawn through the hood.

1mm² would be sufficient for the hood.
I do not consider this a 'power circuit' where 1.5mm² is the minimum allowed.

I agree with the principal and consider it a good thing to have the hood on the cooker circuit so that all the cooking appliances can be switched off in an emergency.

It prevents a chip pan fire being drawn through the hood.

In rented properties an unswitched FCU for the hood, wired to the load side of the cooker switch, forces the tenants to use the hood when cooking.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help, I'm going to keep it on the radial circuit. and oven on its own, saves arguments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back