F&E tank hot?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure if I have enough information for an answer here but I need to ask!

The F & E Tank in my loft appears to be constantly full of hot water, touching the side of the tank feels warm and now it's colder outside I can see steam rising from it.

Doesn't sound right to me, it's a rented property so I won't be doing anything myself, but I would like to know the cause if possible.

The F & E tank is situated right above my hot water tank.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Thats not correct but could be caused by several problems.

You should ensure your landlord gets a competent engineer to inspect it as it could possibly be dangerous.

Tony

Will do! cheers
I'd just liked to have sounded like I knew what I was talking about!

It may be that hot water is pumping over from the vent pipe (this will be a 22mm copper pipe, bent over into a curve above the F&E tank). If you sit up there with a torch, or tie a cup or something under the end, you will see if that is happening.

If the vent pipe is touching, or below the surface of, the water in the F&E tank it may be thermosyphoning.

But as it isn't your house, best to get a pro in to have a look.

If it is steaming it will cause condensation in the loft which may damage any possessions you have up there. Has the tank got a lid on it?

Sponsored Links
Nope, no lid. I can see mould on the wood above the tank so it looks like it's been going on a while.

I thought it might be from the hot water tank, but then I never see any water dropping from the overflow outside.

I've just spoken to a friend (a sort of a plumber in training) who suggested the pump might be on it's way out and the hot water is simply rising to the top of the system. Does that sound plausible?

Fair enough!

Like i said, in training!! I've got British Gas onto it - they provide the cover.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back