Facia with plastic cover

Odd that he's saying the wood is 'sound', and that he's not keen to replace it.

Yet he sent you a quote by text for 'replacing' the facia.

Sponsored Links
Would it be possible to replace a small bit of wood directly under the electric support, say between two eves, without too much fuss, this would keep the electric company happy. I would want this bit replaced as is buckled where the electric is pulling on it. I have eaves protectors which I have meant to put up over that side of the house for some time now, this would solve the problem of the short tiles and water still falling on the wood.

The roofer swears blindly he has nailed the facia into the eves.
If there was some rot but the wood is still structurally OK does the rot stop spreading if kept dry, I mean if the facia is now kept dry will it stay in the same condition as it is now.

Would this be an reasonable solution

If I stop smoking, will the cancer stop spreading?

Hope that doesn't sound too gloomy, but you get the drift.

(pure rhetoric you understand :cautious:)

The owner has come and said his boys say the fascia wood is sound and if he were to replace it the tiles will drop and he will need to re-cement them in place, this will disturb the roof etc etc.

you have to take off the bottom row of (small) tiles or push back a row of large pan tiles to get to the fascia to take it off. If you take off the fascia with the tiles resting on it then yes they will drop. Eaves tiles don't need re cementing back in unless a row of eaves tiles has been used as a base for holding compo that is acting as a bird filler on very large pan tiles.

He has said the exposed bit of wood above the plastic facia cover is the batten the tiles sit on, not the old facia.

It doesn't matter. The new fascia board should cover the whole of the face up to the underside of the tiles unless the baton has been laid in a way that it sticks forward and overhanging the timber fascia.

He has used 10mm facia cover, not the 18mm cladding as the wood is sound.
. That's fine if the wood is sound but (without me reading through all the thread] I thought he quoted you for replacing the fascia. Not covering it. I thought the leccy board won't touch it cause the woods fooked.

He doesn't know why the power line is still pulling the facia away

Cause the woods probably fooked.

The electricity company wanted to attach to the wall but we did not want them to, I did not think it would be a big issue.

Is it a bungalow? They don't like putting them on the walls.

Unfortunately he seems nice enough and the whole issue was probably due to miscommunication between him / us and his workers.

I'm sure he is a nice chap and probably was some communication breakdown but come on, texting a one sentence price? Nah, not for me.

Anyway, as much as he is probably a really nice guy, You need to tell that roofer to go away. You need to get another roofer in. You need to get a written quote off the other roofer for removing the first row of tiles, removing the timber fascia, installing some new treated timber fascia, cladding it with 9mm capping board, installing eaves trays and then putting all the tiles back in place. Then the electric dudes can fit the cable to your nice new fascia.

Then the electric cable will be that strong that if pulled hard enough it will pull the house over.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I suppose that would be best way forward. The sad thing is I have done all of the tasks listed before when I replaced my flat roof (except removing and replacing the facia) and it is easy work.
I would have attempted the job mysef if it wasn't for the electricity cable.

How do you get the nails off the plastic facia without damaging it. I would like to check the woods condition over the weekend.

Thanks for the help.

After a few no shows they finally came round today at 16:30 to make good (while I was home).
The two workers did nothing and spent the time trying to convince me all was well, nothing needed doing and can they have the money.
I refused as I wanted to see the state of the existing fascia first.

The owner then called and said I was messing him around and was coming round to remove the cladding and re attach the gutter / electric to as it was originally. He came round but it was now too dark to see so has arranged for his boys to remove it tomorrow.

The workers are not happy, I imagine they are not going to be too careful.

The power line should be attached to the fascia where the fascia is fixed to the joice, your fixings shall then be going into the joice and will not move

Cheers Andy, I plan to be but it looks like a no show again this time. I assume he can't come when he likes and needs an appointment.

Be Careful- He will want to come round when no one is home, as he won't be removing the facia slowly. He will just be pulling it off and what ever happens to the timber won't be his problem. You will be lucky if he refits the guttering let alone it be at the correct level with no leaks.

And ideally have a friend with you as a witness if anything happens when he turns up.

Andy

Hi all

I forgot to update this.
The roofer never turned up to remove the capping.
I decided I couldn't just not pay him so I got UK power networks around to confirm the fascia would now be strong enough for their new cables. They really tugged on it and said the fascia is fine.

Then they said the power cables don't need renewing anyway as these have already been done, you can see it is the new type of cable.

I complained to UK power networks ( who had originally said the facia needed replacing ) and they refunded me the cost of capping the fascia and I paid the roofer.

I think everyone's happy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back