Fake threats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do i remember seeing a DVLA ad campaign saying that they don't need to check your car window to know that your tax has expired, that its on a computer database and so they know the moment the tax expires and you've not renewed or declared SORN so they'll start investigating today.

This is a complete idle threat. I know a friend of a friend of a friend who's car tax expired at the end of February, they haven't declared SORN or renewed their tax and they've had nothing from the DVLA to enquire about it. I just know i'd be one of the ones to get caught if i was one day late renewing mine but they clearly don't have a system where, if you don't renew - you get an automatic fine!

Sponsored Links
might have got snowed under with sending out letters to everyone but will get round to your mate?
Someone at work got a letter when the system first came out must have been one of the first to get caught out , he didnt even realise that there was this system in place, if i remember right he had to pay £80?

Sponsored Links
they have readers hand held and in vehicles that read your registration and report to the policeman in the vehicle that you have no tax no insurance an outstanding fine warrent whatever attached to the vehicle or registerd keeper

I'd assume he's got the V5 (sorry - don't take much notice of these form references until i need to!) He's got the tax renewal form - its sat on his desk with a cheque to renew it - he obviously intends to renew, just hasn't done yet.

I'd assume he's got the V5 (sorry - don't take much notice of these form references until i need to!) He's got the tax renewal form - its sat on his desk with a cheque to renew it - he obviously intends to renew, just hasn't done yet.

Guess he will get the fine when he renews as they know when the last one ran out which is why they don't need to check your windscreen disc to find out.

perhaps he needs to ring them up and say he SORN'd ithas not heard aything back from them.

After all, he did sent the form off didn't he ;)

you can apply for roadtax online, and get you insurance online...
when will they start doing the MOT online????

here's an idea.. a mobile MOT center..? comes to your place of work / home to do it? no?

you can apply for roadtax online, and get you insurance online...
when will they start doing the MOT online????

here's an idea.. a mobile MOT center..? comes to your place of work / home to do it? no?

Our local garage will come and pick your car up (within a certain mileage) do the MOT and drop it off again afterwards! Suppose they add the cost to the MOT charge though?

if he is driving and passes a DVLA or police checkpoint he can kiss his car good bye if he hasn't got the requisite documents or pay a very hefty fine.

and yes you will get a penalty for not renewing or SORNing a vehicle

either way it's cheaper to renew with the time limit (always was 15 days from expiry of existing but not sure if that is still correct)

Mobile MOT wouldn't work,
Just think theres the VIC computer, rolling road, beam tester, exhaust analyser, lift

all of which could be fitted into/onto a trailer..

the MOT station I go to isn't much bigger than your average car garage..

a converted car transporter would do.. even has the ramps built in..

Sponsored Links
Back