Fake threats

End of feb is nothing they will do him after about 6 weeks.
Last friday we where sitting in the cafe and ther DVLA van pulled up for there breakfast ,transit with a camera on each corner of the roof. computer on the dash .
Well they are still loading the cars up today onto tow trucks they must have done every single street in the town , little cul de sacs with ten houses in them the lot .
They certainly didn`t mess about ,just shows how good the technoloigy is they have

Sponsored Links
here's an idea.. a mobile MOT center..? comes to your place of work / home to do it? no?

As the MOT always falls on the same date as the annual service... I just have it done at the same time.

Always manage to negotiate a discount, and once got an MOT thrown in for free.

I guess it's not so simple if you've got a car that doesn't have a regular servicing period. :confused:

actually its about people claiming their vehicle is sorn'd and still using it.

My bro was a bit silly 2 years back and was riding his bike daily with no tax for over 2 months. I spotted it whilst I was changing the oil. He didn't receive any sort of "Oi, is it SORN or are y'gonna tax it buster?" letters.

After I explained to him that they could crush his bike he taxed it. Turns out they automatically backdate it, so it's not like he got 2 "free" months or something.

There is something the DVLA don't like to tell you - they actually give you a 2 week grace period. I found this out when I rang them after their website told me my car was uninsured. DVLA they explained their database gets a bit muddled if you renew tax, insurance and MOT on the same day as it hasn't updated. It also gets confused if you try to tax your car before your next year's insurance is valid as it only looks at your current policy (which will expire before the tax becomes active!).

So, you can't really do it in advance if you do it all on the same day like me. :confused:

Sponsored Links
and yes you will get a penalty for not renewing or SORNing a vehicle

)

Really?

The tax ran out on one of my cars in December. I didn't SORN it and re taxed it at the end of Feb. No fine, no letter asking what I was up too.

I should point out that the car was not driven on the road during this time as I was using another vehicle.

Last friday we where sitting in the cafe and ther DVLA van pulled up for there breakfast ,transit with a camera on each corner of the roof. computer on the dash .
Well they are still loading the cars up today onto tow trucks they must have done every single street in the town , little cul de sacs with ten houses in them the lot .

They only tow away the uninsured cars.

No tax and they often clamp them until you retax them. Usually done in areas at a time, presumably to give visual publicity but I have not seen so many lately.

I have also seen the DVLA mobile camera vans touring quiet residential streets in Richmond. They seem to be able to drive quite fast as they clock the numbers too.

The green DVLA cameras on motorway bridges also have that capability but I dont know if they are used for that yet. They can also do an average speed check but I dont think that facility is used yet.

Interestingly, in Leamington, the main street video camers give a feed to the police and are also hooked up to the ANPR system to alert them to vehicle deficiencies.

A copper I bought a car from, used to do ANPR checks on roads in the Stratford area which is pretty up market and not where you would expect many problems. He said that they usually found at least one an hour with no insurance etc. but mostly newish cars with middle class drivers who had "forgotten" or "put off" renewing the tax or insurance.

Tony

Agile your talkig nonsense it is not an offence to have a car on a public highway that is not insured so they would not be clamping and towing them .
It is an offense to have a car on a public highway that is not taxed thus clamped and towed away, dont have to take my word try watching the telle the adverts are on every night

I agree that it does not seem to me to be any offence to merely have a car parked on the street without insurance or an MOT as long as it is not used.

However, all my experience is that in London an untaxed car is clamped and then only removed after 14 days ( if not taxed first and a fee paid to have it declamped ).

Towing away without prior warning is a different senario. I am guessing that it may be following the police practice of immediately impounding a car being driven without proof of insurance, even if we think that it can be parked without insurance.

There is also another possibility. If parking fines have not been paid the local authorities can seize parked cars. It could also be that they were being seized for not paying the DVLA £80 penalties.

Tony

Nope it was as simple as i said, clamped for no tax .And the removals started that night and went on for a week.
Obviously able to charge more for this than merely unclamping someone on production of now valid disc

As that is a difference in procedures, either the DVLA is getting tougher ( which I would doubt ) or the contractors are operating outside of the DVLA guidelines to increase their income.

I would not be surprised if it was the latter.

Pity we dont have a clamp victim to check it out.

Tony

all of which could be fitted into/onto a trailer..

the MOT station I go to isn't much bigger than your average car garage..

a converted car transporter would do.. even has the ramps built in..

Ever thought of how much "downtime" you would have, driving from job to job?
Not to mention the £2 per mile for the lorry.

and yes you will get a penalty for not renewing or SORNing a vehicle

)

Really?

really yes !!
my daughter had a moped that she didn't get taxed or sorn'd she got an £80 fine and she had to pay up and then declare the bike as scrapped

They are quite obviously not applying this rule/fine to everyone otherwise I would also be in reciept of an £80 fine notice. And I can assure you I am not.

This is what the DVLA website says:-

"""Clamping vans patrolling the streets are equipped with automatic number plate reader (ANPR) technology. Roof-mounted cameras read the number plates of vehicles parked at the roadside. The number plates are checked against a list of untaxed vehicles and any identified are confirmed against the DVLA vehicle register. The untaxed vehicle is then clamped, towed away and impounded after 24 hours (or immediately in some cases)."""

That last bit in blue is the interesting bit!

If you are hot off the block and have time to deal with it then you dont necessarily have to lose your vehicle.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Back