Fake threats

As per usual you are given the proper procedure which is really easy to understand but you cannot grasp it . Are you sure you are not female :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Just to resurrect this topic .
My van tax ran out end of May with one thing and another didn`t get around to renewing it. On june 15 got a reminder from dvla telling me get it done or face a fine or vehicle crushed.
Sounds like they are getting quite strict.

Well guess who didnt realise his MOT had run out last month :oops: :oops: ..... Got MOT done at 5.30 went on dvla web site at half 8 and all the details where already there so it looks like they have a good computer system. All legal and above board now.

Thats interesting and important to know!

But have you followed when thats going to become law?

It does not mention MOT which as far as i can tell only applies to when you actually drive the car.

Its a bit naughty to require someone to insure a car merely parked when its not being used!

Tony

Sponsored Links
But have you followed when that's going to become law?
No. It could just be one of the many "initiatives" which the current government keeps re-announcing to make the gullible British think they are actually doing something.

Its a bit naughty to require someone to insure a car merely parked when its not being used!
Why? I'm sure there must have been accidents caused by a car parked at the side of the road and those involved have tried to bring a claim against the owner of the the parked vehicle, but have got nowhere because the owner did not have any money. Most uninsured/untaxed/no MOT vehicles are driven by people who can't afford to pay the cost of insurance/tax/MOT, so what chance is there of recovering £X thousand from them.

A vehicle has be insured and MOT'd when a Tax Disc is issued and a vehicle has to have a valid Tax Disc to be kept on the road. It is logical to me that as soon as the insurance or MOT runs out the Tax Disc ceases to be valid. This would get a lot of vehicles off the road.

One big problem is uninsured drivers.

All the time that a fine for not being insured is less than the insurance policy cost then we are inviting drivers not to be insured. The taking away of a vehicle that is not insured is not normally a detterent as they tend to be old sheds anyway that aren't worth a carrot. The offender simply goes out and buys another.

I had the misfortune to forget to retax my van, two weeks out of date I got stopped and fined. My fault 100% but a bit harsh as I had the documents and cheque on the passenger seat to get the tax at the post office. But here is the sting in the tail, you get two fines. One from the cops for "failing to display a valid tax disc" and one from DVLA for"having an untaxed vehicle on a public highway) It worked out at about £80 per ticket.
:(

I forgot to tax my classic and got a fine in the post from the DVLA for not paying my road tax, funny thing is the tax is actually free. I managed to get them to back down over that one thankfully.

But have you followed when thats going to become law?

I think you will find that it is already law and has been for many years. 1986 the latest amendments, and 1974 prior to that. It is an offence to keep a vehicle on a public road without there being in force a valid MOT, tax and insurance.

The legal definition of an accident is "Owing to the presence of a motor vehicle on a road damage or injury is caused"...... blah blah.

There are also very tight definitions of what are roads, what is a motor vehicle etc etc.

A vehicle can be parked unattended but may still be the cause of an accident ; for example if it's position blocks the view of a junction.

The reason the SORN was brought in is to cover the situations where the vehicle is not parked on a public road.

I think you will find that it is already law and has been for many years. 1986 the latest amendments, and 1974 prior to that. It is an offence to keep a vehicle on a public road without there being in force a valid MOT, tax and insurance.
If that is the case, why does http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/Newsroom/DG_174086 issued 20 January 2009 specifically say:

The new measures will make it an offence to keep an uninsured vehicle - rather than just to drive when uninsured - making it easier to catch uninsured drivers and keep them off the roads.?

It's supposed to be an automatic fine, but the system was written by Fujitsu, so It won't work.

If that is the case, why does http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Nl1/Newsroom/DG_174086 issued 20 January 2009 specifically say:

The new measures will make it an offence to keep an uninsured vehicle - rather than just to drive when uninsured - making it easier to catch uninsured drivers and keep them off the roads.?

That says absolutely nothing about the vehicle being on a Public road. At face value it says that if you are the registered keeper of a vehicle, no matter where, it has to be insured.....

Remember that the road traffic law defines keepers of vehicles not owners. At present you can be prosecuted for "permitting" no insurance i.e allowing someone to drive it whilst they are uninsured.

I would wait until the legislation is passed before you worry about it. This Govt can't get most of the laws passed during this term that it wants to as it is.

Sponsored Links
Back