false floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking of laying down a false floor over the top of an existing wooden floor. The existing floor is a couple of hundred years old but in a really bad state has it as been exposed to the weather and unlived in for years.There are also lots of cables to be covered.I was thinking of screwing down batons on top of existing floor,insulating in the gap and covering with chipboard sheets and laminate flooring.
Would there be any problems with condensation from the living room below, which will be heated by a wood burning stove. Also, what type of insulation should i use between the two floors.
Alternatively any other ideas.
blind willy

Sponsored Links
blind willy said:
The existing floor is a couple of hundred years old but in a really bad state has it as been exposed to the weather and unlived in for years.
This is the bit I don't understand, can you give us more info?

masona said:
blind willy said:
The existing floor is a couple of hundred years old but in a really bad state has it as been exposed to the weather and unlived in for years.
This is the bit I don't understand, can you give us more info?

It has been a derelict building with no windows for years.The floor boards are similar to small sleepers, but they are all uneven plus it would be easier and not such an eyesore to hide new electric cables underneath than to chase out of stone or have plastic conduit everywhere.

how much height have you got play with ie how far up can you bring the new floor?

Sponsored Links
Thermo said:
how much height have you got play with ie how far up can you bring the new floor?

the batons I was thinking of putting down are 50mm square,floor board on top of that and then laminate flooring or cushion floor.

blind willy said:
the batons I was thinking of putting down are 50mm square,floor board on top of that and then laminate flooring or cushion floor.

It might be easier (and cheaper in the end) to place your battens of minimum 50mm high and install (secret nailing) new floorboards or loadbeading wood-engineered boards on to it. In between the battens you can place insulation (No DPM though)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back