Fans on lighting circuits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me what the rules are regarding connecting extract fans to lighting circuits.
I was once told it was acceptable in certain situations but can find no reference in the 16th or 17th Edition regulations.

Tim.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the reply.
Do you know which regs refer. I am having a difference of opinion and want ammunition to further my argument.

Tim.

Isolation of a fan is good practice, but it isn't a regulation.

The good practice comes from the (occasional) need to service / clean the fan and in some situations (such as rooms with no natural light) needing to use the lighting to see what your doing.

Switch on / off fans need no more than a switch or a fused spur, 3 pole isolations are only where the instal has perm and switched live feeds.

Sponsored Links
What I was after was a 17th Edition regulation referring to what could be added to lighting circuit.
I realise that bathroom extract fans can be added to the lighting circuit but I wanted to know what the rules are.
I am working on cabins that have a 6A MCB with 1.5 mm wire feeding the main lighting circuit and then 5 lights and extract fans spurred off to phone booths.
I want to know if there is a regulation that I can use to add weight to my argument that this is not good practice.

Tim

I dont believe there is a wiring reg that says you cannot.

Basically you have got a radial circuit rated at (nominally) 6 amps. The label on the consumer unit says "lights" but it could say

"lights, extractor fan, shaver point, TV amplifier and smoke alarm"

Its up to you what you connect to a radial so long as proper design principles apply.

There are restrictions on some radials - these may be Wiring regs or they may be other regs (Building Regs eg). For instance, a heater for a water vessel over 15 litres must be on a dedicated circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back