Fault Finding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Im looking for some useful tips on fault finding. I have a installation resistance reading of a dead short between neutral and earth on a ringmain. My usual method would be to split the ring mid point,test which leg has fault on then work back by taken sockets off and testing each leg.I also do a visual first with the likes of pictures above sockets etc. So im wondering if anyone has come across a better/quicker method of finding such faults. Any useful tips would be great thanks!

Sponsored Links
Unplug everything and disconnect all current using equipment first.
Half split is usually a good start, using a low resistance ohm meter will also help you by saying if you are getting nearer or further away from the fault. Just keeps splitting it down until you find the faulty leg, or the wire trapped in the back of the socket etc.

Where did you measure the 'short'?

Was the main switch in your consumer unit switched off?

Sponsored Links
Where did you measure the 'short'?

Was the main switch in your consumer unit switched off?

And with the conductors of the ring completely disconnected from the consumer unit?
Don't forget that neutral and earth are connected together on the supply side in many installations.

I did a complete IR test first then located the fault to the ringmain.I put neutrals in one connector block and earths in another.

..and yes the installation was isolated. Main switch off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back