Fault in house wiring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Consumer unit trips out couple of times a day. Electric company say everything on their side is ok & they won't come back. Got a spark in, he checked consumer unit & said nothing slack. He was only away half an hour & it tripped again. I'm at my wits end.

Sponsored Links
I assume you mean the RCD trips?

If the wiring has been checked out then it'll be a faulty appliance.

If you can't immediately associate it with anything you're using, like turning on the kettle, the washing machine getting to the spin cycle, or whatever, it's going to be a laborious process to track down the offending item I'm afraid.

Could be the fridge.

Frost free freezers are a pain as you have no idea when the heater is switching on so hunting for earth leakage faults with PAT tester is near impossible to test the freezer fully.

Other items you have more of an idea when being used but neutral - earth faults can miss lead.

So step one only plug in items as you use them and unplug once finished. A simple bit of damp bread stuck in a toaster can cause a RCD to trip when kettle is used.

Did the spark not offer to check further? Just checking terminals for tightness is not really enough he should have done an insulation test at least if an RCD is tripping.

So question has to be what is tripping. RCD, RBCO, MCB and what have you done to isolate the problem to date?

Hi what brand of RCD is it ?

Check all outside lighting and sockets for dampness or water ingress.

Regards,

DS

Sponsored Links
A while back I spent ages trying to locate the cause of intermittent RCD tripping. Turned out to be the RCD itself as a replacement cured the problem.

Yeh the sparky should have checked the RCD itself

What appliance is on when it trips. The fridge comes on multiple times a day so maybe not at fault

It could still be a loose connection somewhere. First start with the sockets ( after isolating ) then any outdoor lighting for damp ingress, try these first

Yeh the sparky should have checked the RCD itself
Although it seems very probable, I don't think that we have yet established for certain that it is an RCD which is tripping. Indeed, we haven't heard at all from the OP since the initial post.

Kind Regards, John

Spot on John, only assumed rcd is present with the sparky checking tightness of terminals, common cause of rcd tripping

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back