Electric shower Switch intermittent behaviour

update

I set out to replace the wires today and started with the small run. The wire runs from the isolating switch to the shower unit. And to my surprise I found all the plastic insulation was eaten by what I can only say rats. All 3 wires were partially necked and the earth was badly burned. Replace it with new one and installed new RCBO. The shower is working again. Many thanks to whoever contributed to this thread.

Sponsored Links
And to my surprise I found all the plastic insulation was eaten by what I can only say rats.
Ah, those critters. This illustrates the point that EFLI made - this picture from my house, which I have posted a good few times before, shows a cable that passed an IR test with flying colours - tests aren't everything!!

Kind Regards, John

piccie didn't post ... try again ...

upload_2016-11-19_21-7-55.png

Kind Regards, John

Attachments

• upload_2016-11-19_21-6-2.png
    upload_2016-11-19_21-6-2.png
    723.4 KB · Views: 105
Sponsored Links
Everybody blames me.........
but I do get hungry
this was found under a floor. All had been fine until the house woodwork was sprayed for woodworm, saturating the bare conductors. The RCD did not like that!

Strangely the little critters had concentrated on the neutral half of the cable, so there were no fried bodies to be found. I wonder how they knew....

The answer may be found towards the end of this wee clip

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back