fault with my indicators.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Driving along yesterday and indicated to turn left and after a couple of seconds the click noise stopped and the indicators stopped flashing. They didn't work at all for the rest of the trip, nor did the hazards. Started the car today and they worked for about 10 seconds and then stopped working again. They functioned occasionally for the rest of the trip, but never for more than a few seconds. Any ideas? It's a 1997 Carina E Leanburn Sli, 1.6 petrol engine. Thanks

EDIT: Don't think it is the relay, because when they don't work, the bulbs don't come on at all. When they do work, the hazards work too. They rarely work for more than 4 or 5 seconds now though. And usually, when they stop working on a given trip, it could be 15 minutes before they'll work again, and then after a few seconds, they're gone again!

Sponsored Links
Something gets a bit hot and decides to go faulty, I would have a look in the fuse box (while its working) for the clicking flasher unit.

If not the flasher unit, play with the hazard switch, as it usually controls both hazard and indicators

Problem is that they just don't stay on long enough to look in the fuse box while they're on. :(

I have played with the hazard button a bit but it doesn't seem to do anything once it's failed. I will keep trying to get a look into the fuse box though, thanks.

Check the connections in the fuse box and use a bit of switch/contact cleaner to clean them. Your reasons for doubting the relay don't eliminate the relay at all I'm afraid. If it's one that plugs into the fuse box as many do, then you can pick one up from a scrap yard for pence and just swap it over.

Sponsored Links
AS above, the flasher unit (relay) can be identified in the fuse box (or where ever) usually by reference to bulb wattage on the side. Something like 2 bulbs x 21W or 4x21W ..... Also a bit larger than the standard relays

Can anyone confirm if the flasher relay fuse is one of the fuses located in the box under the bonnet? I can't get the indicators to stay on long enough to find out for sure!!!!

flasher units are usually inside the car, either by the fuse box or in one of the front kick panels. may be worth investing in a haynes manual if you cant find it

Thanks guys. I think I'll try to get my hands on a manual before I go digging into anything I know nothing about! Meantime, if anyone out there knows for sure where this relay flasher is in my 97 Carina E, then post it up here! Thanks again all. :)

Thanks, that is very good to know. Just have to find out where it is now.

There is a 10A fuse labelled ''Turn'' in the car just under the steering wheel on the right hand side, together with a load of other fuses. Could this also be the problem? And if so, how easy is it to remove and fit a new one and are they expensive to buy?

If it was the fuse they indicators would not work at all. So its not the fuse.

Just to be sure, shake the fuse while the indicators are on, to ensure its not a bad connection.

So that just leaves the flasher relay switch as shown earlier in the thread. Ok, I guess I'll go to a breakers yard and see if they have a spare. Thanks.

EDIT: I am still expecting this to be located in the fuse/switch box beside my battery under the bonnet? Does that sound right?

This is a picture of the flasher relay that is supposed t fit my car.

mcgev5.jpg

This is a picture of the facia fuses diagram. Mursal has said that the indicators wouldn't function at all if the 10A fuse from here, labelled ''Turn'' was faulty.

2lkw9x0.jpg

This is a picture of the diagram of fuses located in a box, under the bonnet beside the battery. There is 15A fuse in here labelled ''Turn''. I swapped it out with the spare 15A fuse and it made no difference.

jzzfo.jpg

I have checked all the possible locations for this switch. I took off the steering wheel protection panel and also the facia board behind it and looked around and under and found nothing that looks like the relay in the first picture. I also looked behind the kick spot beside the accelerator and couldn't find the relay switch. The only place I have't checked is behind the hazard button as seen in the next picture.

aw9e29.jpg

So I am going crazy trying to find this flasher relay. Can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
Back