faulty alpha 240p

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a 14 yr old alpha 240p. I get it serviced yearly and it has been a good servant to me. I have a problem with it that i discovered today.
I have had too re-light the pilot light twice today.
Is this an easy fix or do i need professional help ?

Sponsored Links
You need a small cheap part! But it needs to be fitted by a Gas Reg engineer!

Many would fit it for you as part of a service!

I would too if I had been annually servicing your boiler for 14 years. But if called to your boiler as a fault would charge you for a repair and attend the same day whereas a service is usually done a week later.

Tony

You need a small cheap part! But it needs to be fitted by a Gas Reg engineer!

Many would fit it for you as part of a service!

I would too if I had been annually servicing your boiler for 14 years. But if called to your boiler as a fault would charge you for a repair and attend the same day whereas a service is usually done a week later.

Tony

Thanks Tony it was serviced in June so i will contact my regular guy. I guessed it might be a simple fix

A few engineers would test the effectiveness of the part during a service.

But whilst most drop off over a few months, they can fail over a much shorter period.

There can also be a few other aspects causing that problem too.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi Tony,

The pilot light went out twice yesterday but since the second time of lighting it has stayed on! Weird. These things always happen on a bank holiday. Lol

Sounds like it needs a new thermocouple, but we have to advise you to get a Gas Registered Installer to do it. It could be something else, disturbing it could lead to other problems... etc.
14 years isn't bad. When they fail they can go intermittent for a while, like yours appears to be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back