Faulty Door Cylinders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over the passed Two years I have had to replace 3 cylinders in my front UPVC door. syptoms are that we are unable to remove the door key, when the door is unlocked. What is causing the problem?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the cam (black bit) in the centre of the euro cylinder has slipped. What makes of cylinders are you using?

Ok so its not some cheap no name brand. The things I can think of that can make the cam slip is if the incorrect key blank (if you got more keys cut) have been used which can do this. If there’s a key on the other side of the cylinder. Or I think this can happen is the pin in the centre of the cylinder wears so does not properly engage the cam.

Not sure if a stiff locking mechanism can cause the cylinders cam to slip.

Can you remember at what position was the black bit (the cam) was at on the old cylinder? With no key was it at 5 o’clock or 7 o’clock or 2 o’clock or 10 o’clock position?

Sponsored Links
It's well out of position then - should be at 5 or 7 o'clock, depending on orientation of the cylinder. I've encountered this on most brands, so it's not unique to cheapo's. The most common cause is trying the open the cylinder whilst a key is in the other side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back