upvc lock with broken key

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'd like to replace the lock on my upvc front door (I've just bought the property and no idea who else might have keys to the door). However I think that there is a key broken off in the lock on the outside. A key will insert fully into the cylinder on the inside side, but is blocked from going beyond 50% in on the other side. Peering into the keyhole it looks like there's a broken off key in there. If that's the case am I still able to simply replace the cylinder or is it going to be a more major operation then that? I've not tried removing the cylinder yet incase I end up with an unlockable front door

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
presume it is a standard euro lock.
Are you able to operate the lock from the inside with the key?
If so you can unscrew the barrel retaining screw in the door edge and part turn the key to release the barrel in the normal manner.
As you will be replacing the whole mechanism, there is no problem.
Otherwise, if the barrel will not turn at all then you may have to pick out the broken key, or drill out the whole thing. (Would it "snap")

Hi Tony

The key won't turn from the inside, so it sounds like a locksmith is needed.

Thanks for the advice.

Sponsored Links
I would drill barrel, plus the cheapest option. A lot cheaper than a locksmith, dont bother with cheap drill bits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back