Faulty Shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have fitted a thermostatic mixer shower (Bristan™ Oval Thermostatic) and seperate pump (Wickes) and no water hot or cold will come out of the shower work unless i lower the shower head, once running i can return it to its holder.

Also the pump will randomly start up for a second or two then stop this can be anytime including when no one is touching any other water supply (no flushing toilets, filling kettles etc)

The cold water is fed from a 22mm pipe from the tank in the loft and the hot from the hot water cylinder in the airing cuboard. The pump is in the airing cupboard next to the cylinder and the pipes then run up into the roof and across and down to the shower.

Why am i getting these problems?

Sponsored Links
hi
your pump is probably not kicking in when the outlet is in the holder because there is no enough 'head'(distance between your shower head and bottom of cold water tank) to activate the flow switch in the pump.
when you lower the spray head u are effectively increasing the 'head' to a degree where it will activate the flow switch.
i dont know enough about your system but it sounds like a positive head pump and a gravity fed water system

the intermittent start/stop i am not sure., but the loop up to the attic and back down is prob not ideal but should work ,could cause a problem with airlocking in the system,

do u have any leaking taps on the system?

hopefully some of the more exp diy'ers or plumbers can give u some better info.

good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back