Faulty stopcock ??????

Sponsored Links
Softus - Don't they just rock your world!!!!!!

You could by a bung set and plug the outlets of your storage tank (probably the best bet you have).

Or:

The hot taps work yes? If so, turn your mains off and let them run baby!.

You'll still have some water in the pipes, but if you get yourself prepped you can change them over quickly.

Undo bottom nut of dead valve. Open cold bath tap. Hook new peglar valve/or alternative to nut and olive (hopefully the threads are the same). Cover area with rags/sheets. Check tank in loft is empty.

Quickly undo the top nut and jam new valve into that nut and olive (again assuming the threads are the same). If not panic, get wet; be grateful it wasn't hot water.

Tighten nuts.

Turn back on mains. Turn off the bath taps so that the cold water cistern can fill. Then check for leaks. Turn on taps and valves.

Hopefully there are no air locks - if so run search on the forum theres tonnes there.

Sorry.

Just hadn't heard it called that. Getting confused with toilet cistern. :oops:

Silly woman!

Thanks for all your help. I'm goin to attempt it tomorrow.

Just a last question. Are these valves a standard size?

Sponsored Links
chicklet said:
Getting confused with toilet cistern.
No worries - most people call the cold storage cistern a tank, even though it isn't one.

Yes, but the thread might not be.

If its not then you'll have to change the nut and olive too. Simple enough. They key to this job is to get the cold water cistern empty so that you can work calmly and methodically.

It is a simple job if you know what to do. important thing is to think thourgh each move.

You'll feel like the cat that got the cream once you've done and will have earned a large G&T ;):D

Trouble is I don't know what to do!!!! :(

I think I can manage to empty it with your help.

If not, I'll call in my DAD !!!!

Thanks again

Pegler gate valves use a non-BSP thread.

Cheap cr*p GVs tend to be BSP, also lever valves. You can find out by removing the bottom connection first (with broken valve still shut), and try the new valve onto that nut. If it fits then you can try changing the valve by "snatching" it. Quite exhilarating, but entirely unnecessary given that you'll have only about 1 metre of a 22mm pipe full of water - even a hand towel would be big enough to catch it.

Yes you do - its all here, get the tools and the valves, maybe a hacksaw. there will always be someone online here tomorrow if you get stuck.

Put a pot of tea on (very important that).

Drain down and get ready to plumb. Once the tank is empty you can do it in your own time. If you have digi cam then you can post pics for detailed adivce.

We do this live sometimes... Now that gets the blood pumping ;).

Think of the fun it'll be telling dad/other half what you managed to do + it'll save you a couple of hundred quid.

Gotta get the lass ready for a fisherman's tale.

Assuming no airlock problems we would be in the region of £155+VAT+Parking/CC, but we would try and do both hot and cold valves. :rolleyes:

You have got to be kidding? For two gate valves and a few seconds with a wet vac?

Where are you based? Dubai?

Worse - London (well we operate from Letchworth)

£70 per hour +VAT and materials.

We would allow two hours just incase we have to drain down, fill up etc.,.

If it takes 15 minutes then it is just he hours' charge + the usuals.

We always try and give the scary price at the start - then enjoy the smiles when you go "it was much easier than planned so it's only £......".

surely you've heard of the millionaire plumber?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back