FCU for cooker hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to add a cooker hood and belive that I need to wire it up to a 3A fcu. The nearest socket is a spur and the second nearest is where the spur is taken from.

On the attached image I have good access to the area marked in green. Is it ok to break into the ring main with a junction box (or add another socket) and run a spur to an fcu from this?

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=jyh54q85wve

If this is ok could someone please point me in the direction of the correct type of junction box.

Sponsored Links
why not make the FCU part of the ring?

assuming the kitchen is not on its own cct

Due to the really short wire on the cooker hood the fcu needs to be in quite close proximity. The cooker hood is about three metres away from the sockets on the ring main.

It would be a very simple job to add a junction box next to socket number 4 as I wouldn't need access to sockets 2 or 6 to extend the ring main.

If I were to extend the ring main as you suggest I assume to make a proper job of it (without joining cables) I would need access to either socket 2 or 6? Changing any wires going into or out of these sockets would involve removing tiles and chasing out a bit of wall which I would like to avoid if possible.

Thanks for the quick reply.

If I did extend the ring main as you suggest without having access to sockets 2 or 6 what would be the best practice for extending/joing the cable as shown here....

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=peo6aaanaaa&thumb=5

Is this better or worse practice than the junction box idea? I would really like to keep access limited to the green box or I will need to start destroying the kitchen.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestion, it sounds like a good idea. Is it going to cause any issues in that the fcu will be about 3 metres away from the cooker hood? I think I read in another post that you should be within 2 metres of the appliance in case you need to switch it off quickly.

Ideally it should be located within 2m of the appliance and should be clear what it controls.

It seems pretty obvious that sometimes this isn't possible, whether this is a regulation or suggestion I really don't know. One of the other users should be able to point you in the right direction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back