FCU in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it OK to use an FCU in a bathroom to switch a heated towel rail?

The current set-up is FCU in meter cupboard feeding flex outlet in bathroom but I was wondering if it was OK to relocate the FCU.

The photos show the proximity to the bath and the FCU in the meter cupboard (wall to right of cupboard is bathroom).

Thanks

Colin C

Sponsored Links
I cannot see the actual distances but IMO it would be too close to the bath.
Can it go on the other side of the wall?

You have no RCD protectionon the feed to the rad. You should change the FCU in the cupboard for a 30mA RCD FCU or instal an RCBO in to board.

[daft question given what we know about the quality of work in your installation]Is that a proper outlet plate, or a blanking plate with a flex trapped under it?[/daft]

don't blank plates usually come prepared with notches that can be removed for allowing a flex through?

IMO, probably better suited than a Flex outlet plate as the cable comes from the bottom, not the middle - so meaning less likelyhood of a stray drop of water running along the flex and into the backbox

Sponsored Links
don't blank plates usually come prepared with notches that can be removed for allowing a flex through?
Usually not - they are just plain bits of plastic.

IMO, probably better suited than a Flex outlet plate as the cable comes from the bottom, not the middle
Some flex outlet plates are like that, e.g. MK K1090

Looking at my OSG, am I right in saying that as long as that wall is 600mm from the edge of the bath, it will be OK to install an FCU?

Will check flex outlet vs. blanking plate tonight.

Thanks

Colin C

EDIT: Will also ensure RCD protection before the moving in/decorating phase is done.

That consumer unit might as well be replaced completely.
- The huge hole in the top won't comply, so at the very least you need a new cover for it.
- There are no RCDs at all, so that doesn't comply with current regulations, and didn't comply when it was installed either.
- It's a cheap, poor quality item and the company who made it recently went bust (now reopened apparently).
- Although RCBOs can be obtained for that unit, the cost of doing that is pretty much the same as a whole new consumer unit.

The cost is similar, since that RCBO is £22.
Of the 6 circuits in that consumer unit, at least 3 will require RCD protection (shower, lights and sockets), so that's £66 already. A new cover will also be required.

A 10 way dual RCD Hager consumer unit with MCBs can be obtained for £70.

The testing/inspections required will be the same as for a new CU, as the protective devices are being changed. Both notifiable work as well.

How about an RCD and cover for the quick and easy fix?
One RCD will not comply any more than No RCD.

Seeing as BS7671 is outrageously expensive, enlighten me.
An overall RCD should not be installed because it is a single vulnerable point of weakness which could cause danger.

I dont know if the regs implicitly forbid it, or if its just whole-heartedly discouraged. Either way its dog rough and I wouldnt do it.

And since dual RCD boards and RCBOs are now widely available, theres no excuse for using overall RCDs.

I'd rather have one RCD than no RCD, at the end of the day. Although having lights on the same RCD is a pain in the butt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back