FCU in bathroom

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
- There are no RCDs at all, so that doesn't comply with current regulations, and didn't comply when it was installed either.

:?: Under the 16th the only things that had to be on a RCD was sockets likely to supply things used outside. As this is a flat (unless it's ground floor of course) then it's easily plausible that no RCD protection was required when it was installed.

You're right about the rest though.

An awkward argument there, when the sky 'engineer' arrives and you plug his extension in then that isnt protected, when you run an extension to vaccume the car, that isnt protected. Even if some are RCD protected then that doesnt stop the person with a faulty appliance or ext lead in plugging into another socket that doesn't trip out, therefore all sockets with the exception of ones behind fixed appliances should be RCD protected. Thats my interpretation of the reg mind.

so the guy living on the 14th floor of a block of flats is going to need RCD protected sockets incase he bungs an extension lead out of the window to vacuum his car?
and what sky installer in his right mind is using a plug in drill these days? they use battery SDS surely? " excuse me luv, where can I plug this transformer in?"

Back to the original question, could you run a cable from that outlet and fit a ceiling pull switch?

OK this seems to have gone way off track.

RCDs: I'll sort when I am adding more sockets to the ring.

Thermostat: Nope, as the towel rail is low power and doesn't actually heat the room. The flat is always warm anyway, even with heating off at this time of year.

Replacing blanking plate with switched FCU: Hasn't been answered. Am I right in saying that since it is over 600mm from bath edge, it is outside of zones, therefore OK?

Colin C

is the towel rail fused else where?

Yes, by an FCU in the meter cupboard you can see in the original photos.

However, I want to do away with this and run an un-fused spur in 2.5mm off the ring main to a switched FCU in the bathroom.

Colin C

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back