FCU in bathroom

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
A blanking plate is a blanking plate
and
A flex outlet is a flex outlet.
really?
The work involved in making that blanking plate into a flex outlet proves this.
No strain relief
No connections
how difficult do you think it would be to ensure that the cable coming out of 'the plate' has adequate strain relief?
Possibly that centre hole is for making TV sockets by the manufacturer.
And the very shallow knockouts round the edges could be used with a flushed in box for fixed surface wiring, something like BT wiring.
or possibly not.

So how is one supposed to provide strain relief?
are you serious? You don't know how to do that?

How would you do it?

I would fit a flex gland if running the cable through the front.

If I was lucky enough to find a flex small enough to go through a notch on the edge could maybe fit cable clips to wall or inside the box; only I wouldn't!

What's the correct answer, Mik?

So how is one supposed to provide strain relief?
are you serious? You don't know how to do that?

How would you do it?

I would fit a flex gland if running the cable through the front.

If I was lucky enough to find a flex small enough to go through a notch on the edge could maybe fit cable clips to wall or inside the box; only I wouldn't!

What's the correct answer, Mik?
there isn't one 'correct' answer.
Im a bit surprised that someone who i am assuming is an experienced spark cannot figure it out themselves.

Who is to say that when a cable of a certain diameter is laid through a notch and then adequately secured to the wall on a standard back box, then the interference fit between the flex and the surrounding plate/wall combination isn't sufficient in itself?

Try it and find out yourself. You may be surprised at the result.....

Just use the K1090 plate, as mentioned on page 1.

It has strain relief for a bottom entry flex and also 20A rated terminals on the rear of the plate for connections between the t&e and flex.

mikhailfaradayski said:
Who is to say that when a cable of a certain diameter is laid through a notch and then adequately secured to the wall on a standard back box, then the interference fit between the flex and the surrounding plate/wall combination isn't sufficient in itself

I wouldn't call that satisfactory.
In a place where no 'tugging' is likely, maybe. But otherwise, no.

of course, thats possible. I think this has gone on a bit of a tangent. I only mentioned this due to the 3rd, 5th and 6th post on this thread...
nothing more

mikhailfaradayski said:
Who is to say that when a cable of a certain diameter is laid through a notch and then adequately secured to the wall on a standard back box, then the interference fit between the flex and the surrounding plate/wall combination isn't sufficient in itself

I wouldn't call that satisfactory.
In a place where no 'tugging' is likely, maybe. But otherwise, no.

try it and see. Im not making a statment that it is ok, im saying to try it and see, then make your own call. (of course, this relies on a bit of experience and nous)

How does 'normal' strain relief occur?
How is that fundamentally different from the 'trap the cable somehow' suggestion?
how does strain relief on a standard rose and pendant set work?
why is that allowed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back