FCU on lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for dragging this old thread up, but I just can't find the answer anywhere else.

Is it permissible within the wiring regulation to create a spur from the lighting circuit with an FCU to feed all of the electrics in a bathroom, ie. lights, fan and shaver socket/light.

What I propose is as follows.

Please can someone clear this up for me?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Moderator's note:

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Please familiarise yourself with
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19448
including no. 20

Mod Rupert
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sponsored Links
theres no need for the FCU, the fuse/breaker for the lighting circuit should be adequate.

try and make the junction boxes both accessible and at the same time not too prone to getting damaged.

plugwash said:
theres no need for the FCU, the fuse/breaker for the lighting circuit should be adequate.

Thanks for the quick reply. The only reason for the FCU was to comply with the manufacturers instructions of protecting the fan with a 3A fuse. Is there any need for this or is just for warranty purposes?

The only other way I could think of protecting the fan was the FCU before the Isolator with a choc block in the FCU for the switched live. Not sure if that's legal though.

i guess you may as well put the FCU in if the fan maker asks for it if only to stop them b1tching about the warranty. Shouldn't really be nessacery though.

Sponsored Links
The reason is, that the manufacturers instructions are probably to guard in cases where the fan is connected to a socket circuit. On a ring that would usually be fused a 32A so needs fusing down for the fan.

.....Or is it to reduce the chances of anyone trying to claim off the fan manufacturers if the fan pops the lighting circuit protection, and they fall base over apex in the dark....?

TicklyT said:
...and they fall base over apex in the dark....?

:LOL: Could be, although we are not quite like America in that regard, are we?

Does anyone have any comments about the diagram in general, does everything look as it should?

You would need to fuse the live and switched live, so couldn't do it as the OP says - the FCU would need to be before the switch.

If the fan was a decent ventaxia ACM or something, I may be tempted to fuse it, but for a standard £5 axial fan.....?

tomban said:
Could be, although we are not quite like America in that regard, are we?

Not yet but we're getting there.....Successful claims for accidents in the dark follow....

1) Digby Brown case where the pursuer was working as a nursery assistant in Kilmarnock. She was making her way down an internal staircase. Near to the foot of the stairs she fell, fracturing her right ankle. She sought damages at common law and breaches of certain of the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992.

Lord Kingarth held that the lighting was inadequate and, combined with the very dark colour of the carpet, it was difficult for persons using the stairs to see clearly and to judge where the edges of the treads were. Philip Glen carried out an inspection and his view on the lighting, though not expertise, were accepted.

The Court awarded solatium of £5000 (with £4000 to the past) producing interest of £684. Decree was granted in the total sum of £6974.

2) A councillor, who slipped when she went to check dangerous seaweed in the DARK, won £25,000 compensation. Local Tory Lyn Bounds broke an ankle after she fell on the slime at a riverfront jetty. A council worker said, “Going down there at night was just asking for trouble.” Mrs Bounds, the then Fareham borough councillor, hurt herself when she slipped off its edge. She claimed she was unable to work properly for five months. The payout far outweighs awards made to victims of crime by the Criminal Injury Compensation Authority.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back