fcu or 20a dp switch for kitchen appliances

EDIT: Oh, I was also going to add: Why would the terminals need to be rated at 32A when the wire going in and out of them isn't?

In a 32A 4mm radial final circuit the terminals in the back of the first socket may be subject to the full load current of the circuit which is why I queried about BS1363 terminals.

Sponsored Links
In a 32A 4mm radial final circuit the terminals in the back of the first socket may be subject to the full load current of the circuit which is why I queried about BS1363 terminals.
True!

Sponsored Links
EDIT: Oh, I was also going to add: Why would the terminals need to be rated at 32A when the wire going in and out of them isn't?

Would you use a 20A junction box to extend a ring final circuit?

But 20A is less than the rating of 2.5mm, so no.

The current common belief (which it would be nice to have confirmed) is that the terminal rating of a BS 1363 FCU has been defined as at least equal to the cable specified for RFCs, which is why the regs support its use.

Since BS 1363 costs several hundred pounds, I won't be seeing it unless it's in the local reference library. So we are mostly left to conjecture. :(

Would you use a 20A junction box to extend a ring final circuit?

But 20A is less than the rating of 2.5mm, so no.

But you questioned why terminals would have to be rated at 32A when the cable feeding them isn't. This was in relation to 20A switches which is less than the current carrying capacity of 2.5mm (in most circumstances).

More importantly, 20A is less than the rating of the protective device.....

Actually Gary it was in relation to BS 1363 FCUs:

ban-all-sheds wrote:
JohnD wrote:
The terminals on a 20A switch might only be rated at 20A, but they are on a supply fused at 30A.

Ever looked at what the terminals on a BS1363 socket outlet are rated at?

Are they not rated for the full 32A? If they aren't then surely they won't be suitable for use in a 32A radial circuit

But I'm not trying to start (or continue) an argument . I'm just interested in how the 'regulations' came about. And how the actual available accessories where chosen and specified in the first place. Why isn't there a 32A switch, or a 20A FCU? It seems to me that the system whereby you need to be rich before you can see the British Standards it a major contributor to forum disagreements.

But you questioned why terminals would have to be rated at 32A when the cable feeding them isn't. This was in relation to 20A switches which is less than the current carrying capacity of 2.5mm (in most circumstances).

More importantly, 20A is less than the rating of the protective device.....
And (subject to it having changed in a more recent version) the 20A that a double socket is rated at is less than the rating of the protective device too... :confused:

Ok, now the discussion regarding the use of 20A DP switches on 32A circuits seems to have come to an end, can we get back to the OPs orginal question, as I also would like to have an answer:

Is is better to use FCUs or DP switches?

The only answer which came close was by BAS:
If you're using fused plugs, then there's no point in having an FCU, and it will be an annoyance should a fuse go, as you won't know which it is, so use DP switches.

If you are using unfused plugs then FCUs are the way to go.
But to be honest, if it gets around the issues of 20A DPs on a 32A circuit, surely the fuse issue is Negligible.

If the FCUs are not rated to 32A circuits also, why not use 32A DPs instead of 20A as was mentioned by RF. Surely this will solve all the previous arguments?? :rolleyes:

It seems to me that the system whereby you need to be rich before you can see the British Standards it a major contributor to forum disagreements.

Agreed :(
Are you talking about the Big Red Book? If so, this is only about 60 to 70 quid, which tbh, is not that expensive considering how often it is updated!

I work in the IT trade and we are always buying books for the new technologies etc.

For sparkys, 70 quid every few years is nothing!

It seems to me that the system whereby you need to be rich before you can see the British Standards it a major contributor to forum disagreements.

Agreed :(
Are you talking about the Big Red Book? If so, this is only about 60 to 70 quid, which tbh, is not that expensive considering how often it is updated!

I work in the IT trade and we are always buying books for the new technologies etc.

This is your life? No, I'm not even talking about BS7671:2008 which I'm more than aware of.
I replied to a post regarding British Standards in general, BS1363 for example.

eyeofthebeholder said:

No. :) I have that (although it only cost me £52). But look at the list inside of specs for just about every cable, fuse and accessory in existence. I was looking at the price of BS 1363, to try to answer the question about terminal capacity on an FCU. This seems to be in four parts, although for FCUs you only need to buy part 4, at a price of £130. I haven't looked at the price of the other parts, but if they are similar then we are looking at £520 just to learn the specs of a few accessories.

Call me mean, but I'm not paying that. :(

EDIT: Just checked and the complete BS 1363 is £620 :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back