FCU

Sponsored Links
it contains a fuse.

They can come with several accessories though, switches, neons, flex outlets.

Could I run a small television that is hardwired into a 5A FCU onto the lighting circuit. Or is this not pheasable.

Sponsored Links
I cant plug the tele into a mains socket, as the tele will be high up on my bedroom wall, this means a long wire running all round the bedroom to the socket. It would easier and neater to drill upwards to access the light circuit.

s.waring3578 said:
Could I run a small television that is hardwired into a 5A FCU onto the lighting circuit. Or is this not pheasable.

What sort of TV? Dont do this with a 60inch plasma, cos they consume about half a kilowatt. Look at the rating on the TV, and add this to the total lights on the circuit. If it is more than 1.2kw or so, you are on thin ice with this.

connecting a small TV to the lighting cuircuit shouldn't be a problem, theres not even any real need to fuse it since the breaker on a typical lighting cuircuit is 6A anyway.

i'd suggest use a 5A round pin plug and socket, makes it possible to move the TV for cleaning etc and discorages people from plugging in any big appliances.

The tele shoudn't need to be unplugged anyway as it is wall mounted. So instead of having a plug showing could I just hardwire it into the lighting circuit or would this be a bad idea. Thanks for your advice so far.

by wall mounted you mean sitting on a wall bracket?

making it difficult to remove is probablly a bad thing, sooner or later you will wan't to remove it to clean the plate on the bracket or to do something like painting in the room, much easier if it can just be unplugged.

also means you don't have to cut power if/when the tv needs repair or replavement.

if you do hard wire it make sure there is at least a double pole switch and a suitable cord grip but honestly i'd say the round pin plug and socket is a better idea.

Does it matter that the plug at the moment uses a 10A plug. I suppose I just cut the plug off the cable that is supplied and replace it with a 5A plug then don't I?

hmm 10A plug never heared of such a thing i presume you mean a normal british 13A plug

yeah you shold just be able to chop that off and replace it with a 5A one to match your new socket.

So I could put this round pin socket, its going to have to be wall mounted just behind my tele and run trunking into the loft. Thats a great idea. Actually thinking about it could I put the socket in the loft so that just the trunking is showing behind the tele?

putting a socket in the loft would kind of defeat the object of having it ;)

how far is this TV going to be from the ceiling? if its pretty close then i'd just put the socket right below the ceiling and plug the TVs flex into it there.

I've just checked the plug and it does use a 10A fuse. Do you think this should be OK just to chop off then. Your advice is much appreciated. Are you a qualified sparky? You seem to know your stuff?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back