Feeder and Expansion - Vent Pipe

Sponsored Links
It's a Potterton Netaheat Electronic (very old...)

Picture below (generic photo from the internet, not our actual boiler)

$(KGrHqZ,!jQFCepln)uPBQs87l,67!~~60_35.JPG

I don't think there's an overheat stat on these so shouldn't be used on a combined.

Sponsored Links
It's so you have a supply of cold water in case of overheating and prevents boiling .this could not happen if accidentally left closed or becomes blocked. You would not want a system running dry would you ?
Thanks, for that, I did wonder about that at one point but discounted it because a service valve is allowed in the cold feed to the tank and that could be accidentally left closed and a F&E tank doesn't have much capacity.

I also thought that a hot water cylinder could overheat and the same thing happen, although I suppose that the element would burn out before it ran dry and so not quite as risky as a boiler.

It's a Potterton Netaheat Electronic (very old...)

Picture below (generic photo from the internet, not our actual boiler)

$(KGrHqZ,!jQFCepln)uPBQs87l,67!~~60_35.JPG

Is ths the Netaheat with an asbestos box around the burner ?
I was always told not to service these boilers because of that asbestos but that was a 15 years ago and i can't quite remember if it is that model.
(to much stella over the years)

Anyway these boilers have no overheat stat but i think you COULD get a kit for them.

Oops, didn't even realise it was an f&e tank, think it was because I looked at the close up pics! Feel stupid now! Oh well not the first time!

Well, ASFAIK and am happy to be corrected on this, but you can't combine the F@V on these.

That is the correct instruction because it cannot be assumed if the boiler is boiling that the feed water will be able to also flow down the pipe to replemish whats being boiled off.

Many of those vintage of boilers actually had the cold feed entering directly into a dedicated tapping on the boiler.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back