Feeding wires through Stud partition's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of installing a new phone outlet in an upstairs bedroom. The tidiest route for the new cable is to run it down through the stud partition. Mq question is, Is there such a thing as a 3-4ft drill bit to drill through the stud which is located half way down the wall ?

Sponsored Links
yes there is, i have 2 of them, :) but they are both blunt :cry: cant remeber where they came from :cry:

how high up is this stud
one option would be to mount the box above it if its not too high

another option is to cut out a section and notch the stud then nail it back (with nails beside the cable not through it)

Sponsored Links
The wall is 8ft high and 5' thick.There is a horizontal stud about 3ft down from the top. A bit too high to mount box.... Notching stud is a possibility, but I don't want to damage the paintwork as it is not a new wall.

If all you want to do is a few holes in timber, and not too worried about the accuracy of the diameter, you can knock up your own bit from a length of mild steel rod.

I have a six foot long job that I made and have used succesfully on many occasions (well about half a dozen anyway). Starting with the round rod, I heated up the end with a blow torch untill it was glowing bright orange. Hammered the end to form a flat wide section Filed the end to form two flat edges meeting in the middle at an angle of about 120 degrees. Paying attention to the edges, filed these so that they have a clearance angle of about 5 degrees. Finally heated the worked area up as hot as I could get it, and quenched it in a pot of used Chip fat (Vegetable Oil). It goes through structural timber like a dose of salts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back