felt and tile roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have a tile roof on my semi-bungalow I currently have a leak (prob long term, due to broken tile), never noticed until i removed the pine internal ceiling in kitchen, and a damp/mouldy patch appeared on my brand new plasterboard/skimmed/painted ceiling :(

I took a look in attic and it looks like its been happening for a while now, with a little wet rot on wood that holds the felt on (I can see it through the felt), and that the tiles are placed over. Also one of the little pieces of wood that connect from the roof frame to a ceiling joist ( sry I dont know the terminology) has wet rotted a bit at the bottom from where water has run down. Seems to me a tile has broken and its eroded the felt and water is now making its constant, but slow way into my kitchen ceiling.

How difficult or easy is this to repair?

I said it was a semi and the leaky area is near the centre of the two properties ( on my side) about half way up the roof.

Is it reasonable to just replace felt around the bad area, or will all roof tiles (ie half the roof) have to be removed and all the felt replaced from there down? And how much is this likely to cost me as I'm skint, but am stressed becasue I know it a serious problem I need to get sorted out sooner rather thna later.

Sponsored Links
If it's as localised as you say a repair would be quick and cheap, a case of removing a few tiles maybe a small amount of the laths (or battens, both terms tend to be used), smallish piece of felt and retile . Less than a day and the odd tile and bits for materials.
Either way it needs doing. The wet rot you refer to will disappear too once the roof is made watertight and the timbers dry out although for piece of mind treat or replace.

Thank-you ladylola for your response, I will get a professional out asap to take a look.

It is in my opinion localised, as I can see the damage.

Again thanks for your reassurances, it's helped me to understand whats needed to repair, generally I assume the worst about these things, ie £1000s to fix, and a smooth talking repairman. so I put off getting an estimate.

Thanks for letting me know your thoughts, and best of luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back