Felt roof leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

In heavy rain we've got a leak from our flat felt-topped conservatory roof that first appeared a few weeks ago.

Can't see any noticeable tears or rips in the felt, which lends me to think it's a small gap between the felt sheets into which pooled water is running through (see picture)

Before I get someone to re-felt the whole thing, is there a DIY solution I could try. Bitumen? Acrypol?

Any advice much appreciated!

Attachments

• PXL_20230802_144414691.jpg
    PXL_20230802_144414691.jpg
    456.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot_20230802-160605.png
    Screenshot_20230802-160605.png
    760 KB · Views: 41
Sponsored Links
Yes and yes! Had similar problem on daughter's kichen extension while back. Bought a tin of black bitumen paint from Wickes and spread on a couple of coats as thick as I could then sprayed it silver (to protect from sunlight). That was five years ago, still not leaks and roof is quite exposed.

Yes and yes! Had similar problem on daughter's kichen extension while back. Bought a tin of black bitumen paint from Wickes and spread on a couple of coats as thick as I could then sprayed it silver (to protect from sunlight). That was five years ago, still not leaks and roof is quite exposed.

Cheers that's helpful.

Is it best to bitumen the whole roof, or just the area that's likely compromised?

Sorry can't really say as I don't claim to be an expert but I did most of it that looked suspect at the time.

Sponsored Links
That bitumen paint is really good for small cracks. I painted over just the crack in a corrugated roof and it has worked a treat

That bitumen paint is really good for small cracks. I painted over just the crack in a corrugated roof and it has worked a treat
Sorry can't really say as I don't claim to be an expert but I did most of it that looked suspect at the time.

Turns out it's not the felt!

I got up there and got these pictures.

The water seems to be coming from a tear in the lead. The felt hasn't been 'turned over' correctly, and a divot where the tear is is causing...

1. The water to pool
2. It then runs through the crack

I'm gonna get some sealant tomorrow and fill in and under the gap, and then put some flash band on top of it

Attachments

• PXL_20230803_183448410.jpg
    PXL_20230803_183448410.jpg
    487.9 KB · Views: 39

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back