FEMALE IN NEED OF URGENT HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi please help me resolve something urgently, last night when i pulled on the cord switch in the bathroom, the light did not go off? i have lived here 3 years now and not had a new fitting or anything, it just happened last night, its not the bulb and ive taken down the pull switch case and looked at the swith inside and things seem ok, it clicks when i pull the cord only the light remains on, however it does like flicker and dims very slightly but this happens only for 1 second and then just remains on. So i've had to take the bulb out.
Cheers Guys and Gals, hope you can advise. And SOOOOON

Sponsored Links
switches do wear out. Most likely you just need to fit a new one. Don't disconnect the old one until you can hold the new one up against it and mark all the wires and terminals as it is important to connect them the same way. Don't just think "Red" and "Black" as in lighting circuits they fulfil different purposes with the same colours.

You need of course to turn off the power and verify that it is dead before you start work.

Sponsored Links
thanks guys, if your sure thats all it could be then im on my way to get one already, there is only 1 red and if i remember rightly the other is black, but i will take your advice and check to see what comes out of where and fit it the same way as original, Oh and turn off power at main box of course. Thanks again people, glad i found this site, bye bye.. Debs. xx

OK COME ON PEEPS

coming from the ceiling to the new switch i have

1x earth wire (yellow/green) connected to base of the new switch.....
1x red wire which i put into COM.....
1x black wire which i put into L1 ......because thats where it was in the old switch,

and YES i replaced the bulb BUT

When i got back to the bathroom after switching the power back on at the fuse box the light was already on, so i pulled the new cord hoping it was fixed and wold now turn off but the light did not go off..

What if i moved the black wire to L2 ??

LOL - urgent? A light that wont switch off?

You would wait five weeks for this type of low priority repair if you was a tenant ..... girl or not :rolleyes:

What if i moved the black wire to L2 ??

No, unless you've managed to do something really silly like put the old switch back on then changing from L1 to L2 will make no difference. The problem could be caused by a loose connection in the light fitting or a junction box somewhere, although I would have thought the chances of the light failing permanently on would be pretty remote if that were the case.

Do you have a fan or anything else that comes on with the light?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back