FEMALE IN NEED OF URGENT HELP

Turn off the juice at the fusebox, remove both cables from the switch and temporarilly tape them with some insulation tape, so they don't touch each other, or anything else.
Turn the power supply back on and see if the light comes on. If it does, you can rule out the switch and call in a sparky to find out wtf is going on!

Sponsored Links
The flickering sounds like a poor connection, but for the light to fail 'on' is unusual.

I wonder if something has melted together such as a loop connection in or behind the light fitting?

A couple of photos would be a HUGE help.

LOL - she must have her finger on L1 as she sounds rather charged up.

Here's a tip - flick the MCB or pull the circuit fuse - it will prevent you blowing your own fuse in future

BTW, has anyone got any good links for life? I need to start looking

Sponsored Links
I'd check the wiring first for any shorts or bad/burnt insulation.
just noticed the bit about the fan might pay to disconnect that first.

DRGN73, you seem to be getting a little bit Teed off. Where in yorkshire are you?

I am free all day tomorrow if you're not far i will call in and have a look if you're anywhere near here. Look in my profile and you will find my e-mail :)

Doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the pull switch wiring. A photo of the wiring in the light fitting would be very handy.

Im sure you indicated before that the place is rented (in the post that was a bit of a rant which got removed maybe).

if this is the case i would give up now, changing the switch is one thing but getting deeper things can get messy (there will be a lot of unidentified wires in the ceiling rose) and landlords dont like tenants touching the electrics (for valid reasons).

if this is the case i would give up now, changing the switch is one thing but getting deeper things can get messy (there will be a lot of unidentified wires in the ceiling rose) and landlords dont like tenants touching the electrics (for valid reasons).

It may also be in your tenancy agreement.

Do you have an earth wire in the switch cable?

Can you explain what relevance an earth wire is to a problem where a light won't switch off. :confused:

No need to be rude. Actually very relevant: you'll see why:

Last week I went to a house where the bathroom light would not switch off. There was no cpc in the cable. Some boards had been laid in the loft & a screw driven into the cable, shorting the common & switch wire together.

If the fan has died it could be the permanent live on the over run that has caused it. I have found this before on refurbs I have done.

Tony

...or the screwfix forum... :D

Edit: Incidentally it struck me that a good test would be to remove the switch, make sure the wires were separated and insulated, and then put the mains back on. This would rule out switch wiring completely. Then the same thing with the fan.

But I agree that it would usually be best to have the landlord fix it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back