Fence ? from novice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

At the rear of my premises I have a fence that consistes of several concrete posts (about 8 feet apart) and 2 horizontal wooden fence posts ( 1 top and 1 bottom) that insert into the concrete posts.

I want a panel type fence that will completely cover the area and not just 2 beams etc. However, all the panel fences appear to require the concrete posts that slide the panels down then inside grooves. My concrete posts have 2 rectangular slots only, that allow beams to slide into them.

Therefore, what are my options, vertical posts nailed to the existing 2 horizontal ones? (the concrete posts would still show etc?)?

Any advice please as it is needed as been to shops today and could see no answer

Sponsored Links
are you sure that is what the slots are for, i have seen similar posts as you mention where the owners slid fence panels into them.

So i am told though that if you get a very strong wind the fence panels do bow and pop out of the posts, but a metal bracket would solve that.

The other solution would be to put up a new fence using "metposts" infront of the concrete pillars that are there

I think I understand what you're saying, and it seems your system was designed for fixing vertical boards, which you can purchase from Wickes.
The 'tapered edge' boards give a overlap effect, well you do overlap them slightly.
Factory manufactured panels are 6ft wide or maybe actually 5ft 10in and your posts are 8ft apart. Besides concrete posts, panels can be fitted to square wooden posts held with a metal bracket in lieu of a slot.
I'm thinking it may be an idea to fix wooden posts to your horizontal beams and fit panels between the posts.
The problem I forsee is whether there would be clearance for a panel when it is in front of a concrete post.
I think the wood post are 4in sq and a panel 2in deep and if fixed centrally the clearance is 1in,but you could increase that to 2in if fixed offset from centre.
A lot depends on the height of the intended panels and how deep the concrete posts are in the ground.
Of course the other option is to leave the existing posts in situ and fix new purpose made posts slightly in front and to the right depth.
If you opt for this, don't try fixing the posts first and sliding the panels in later. Fix one end post vertical, concrete in and leave overnight to set, then fit a panel and post at the same time, then repeat until the end.
You can use wood props to hold the panels and posts vertical, also string to keep the posts in line, and level then finally concrete.
Also dont dig too wide a hole, the bigger the hole the more hardcore you will need and more concrete
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back