Fence - laws and regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am about to put a fence up between myself and next door, previously there were conifers there which we cut down so now when we walk up the garden we are looking right into there kitchen window - this is quite off putting for them but if we put up a fence we know they are going to make a fuss

Are there any regulations on how high a fence can be

Sponsored Links
we have a new fence, it is 6 foot tall, i think 7 foot would be taking the mick

But if I grew conifers back there they can grow up to 10ft etc

Sponsored Links
Quite right, any other ideas then as I really want to use my garden without looking at the neighbours

lewyboy said:
Hi, I am about to put a fence up between myself and next door, previously there were conifers there which we cut down so now when we walk up the garden we are looking right into there kitchen window - this is quite off putting for them but if we put up a fence we know they are going to make a fuss

Are there any regulations on how high a fence can be

You can go upto 2M high without PP but it often looks odd that high. I'd go for four foot with two foot of trellis and grow a creeper or something.

Of course you could always brick up their window. :LOL:

Look at the different styles of fence.
There are some very good ones out there plus you can haggle the price of them with a small retailer.
Some reed fences are very good and still let light through.
You need a fence that blends in with your garden.
Sell the idea to your neighbours with a bottle of wine or something.
NO point in falling out over this and giving yourselves or them years of stress over it.

Talk to your neigbour about it!

Most of the time problems arise when there has been no communication between the two parties.

If a neigbour started digging holes on the boundary of my property without consulting me I'd get a little perturbed.

If you start off on a wrong foot it will only end in problems! Oh the tales I heard from an old colleague!

Solicitors, surveyors, tape measures and tears!

Over a bl**dy fence!

Safe yourself the aggro! It's good to talk!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back