Fence panels fixed between posts or to centre of posts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, am planning my fencing work and am wondering why it seems standard practice to fix/ slot fence panels between posts instead of actually fixing to face/ front of the posts. I.e. if I'm using 100mm wooden posts then each panel could be fixed 50mm to front of posts butted up to next panel? Thinking this may make it structurally stronger and avoid having to slot/fix panels, but never see it done like this. cheers.

Sponsored Links
Should be ok if you use solid rails not arris rails to ensure a continuous fixing point.

Get good quality treated timber if the posts are wooden, otherwise they will rot quicker.

Blup

Because the posts are an H shape and have a slot into which the fence panel is slid? Because the "panel, post, panel, post" look is preferred over the "panel, panel, panel" look? Because the fence then looks the same both sides rather than having an obvious back side, pleasing both neighbouring owners?

Thanks for replying.
Post are 100mm sq rather than H shape so panels would be fixed and not slid in. Personally would prefer the 'panel, panel, panel' look over the 'panel, post, panel' look and wondering if this would be easier to install and also stronger?
Good point about pleasing neighbours, will need to consider this!

Sponsored Links
you will loose a further 50mm from your garden and give your neighbour the use off 100mm off your garden
where as centre post you loose 75mm and they gain 25mm assuming posts fully on your propperty

i personally use 3 screws and a long drill bit
start the hole 1/3 in from the front face off the vertical baton at a perhaps 5-9 degree angle exiting the post side around 2/3 from the front face
you will also need a short extension to hold the pz2 driver bit on a 60-70mm screw

Hello, am planning my fencing work and am wondering why it seems standard practice to fix/ slot fence panels between posts instead of actually fixing to face/ front of the posts. I.e. if I'm using 100mm wooden posts then each panel could be fixed 50mm to front of posts butted up to next panel? Thinking this may make it structurally stronger and avoid having to slot/fix panels, but never see it done like this. cheers.
It’s not standard there are a variety of styles . Using slotted posts allows easy exchange of panels if damaged .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back