fencing question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have two walls running down either side of my garden, they are about 5ft tall and abit unsightly and both owned by me.

Im wanting to screen them by fitting a 6ft fence infront of them. Im planning to attach 6ft posts to the wall and then use rails and featheredge boards to finish the job.

Questions are.

1. How often should I fit an upright post? Ive seen various info some says 1.8m and others say 3m

2. What size posts should I use? 50mmx50mm or 75mmx75mm again because the fence is sheltered and the posts will be fitted to the wall Im not sure if the smaller ones will be adequate.

3. How many cross beams (arris rails?!?) will I need for a 6ft high fence

4. Part of the fence has a raised bed against it, currently empty but i do plan on filling with soil. I was thinking I would just frame fix the post as normal and then fill up with soil later. Will the post been covered by soil make it deteriorate/rot really quickly? i.e less than 10 years?

5. Above the raised bed will be approx 110cm of fencing, how many cross beams will i need here.

Cheers in advance
Andy

Sponsored Links
The light upright posts should be fine, as long as the wall is straight and you don't have to pull the rails in, to go with the curve on the wall?

Probably 5 rails in 6 feet will look best
I'm not a big fan of soil mixing with timber. So I'd back fill first, or at least mark on the wall the eventual height of the topsoil. Then keeping the rails level cut then to fit around the top soil. Leave an air gap. Same with the uprights leave a gap at the bottom.

Will it look a bit dodgy the fence higher than the wall? Or maybe you cannot see the wall when its all finished?

I agree with pretty much all of what mursal said but would cut down on the rails, i only use 3 for a six foot fence.

As for posts use at least 3'' (75mm)

Normally i'd say 6 foot centres but as its against a relatively high wall you could push it out to 2.1m and then use 4.2m rails.

As an aside have you considered rendering the walls? IF done right it will out last a fence considerably and probably be not far off the same price?

Of course you may be wanting to add height for privacy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back