fencing yet again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbours property is separated from mine by a 4 foot brick wall which goes to the end of our gardens.The properties are on a similar level but at the start of the gardens at the rear of our properties the level alters and my neighbour is then about 4 foot higher than me.He has now started to install a 6ft fence on his side which on my side towers nearly 10 ft,is this allowed has I was led to believe a fence should not be higher than 6 ft.

Sponsored Links
maximum is 6ft 6" or 2m
my understanding from the "normal"ground height
normal being the level you would expect the ground to be naturaly with out mounds or trenches added on

Thanks big all,so does that mean that being as my nieghbours path is 4ft higher than my path he might only be allowed to erect a 2ft 6inch fence on his side of the said wall and then I would looking at a 6ft 6inch high fence from my side of the wall/fence

different councils will interpret it differently. give the planning office a ring and they will tell you.

Sponsored Links
I would say its 6 foot measured from his side.

if he were to put in say a 2 foot fence it could be argued that the fence is there to stop kids from falling down on yourside, which a 2 foot fence will not do.

sorry about this, but isn't google amazing?

quick search shows this

we get this all the time with fencing work. Any doubt speak to the council. each council and planning officer can/will/does interpret things differently. If its wrong they will deal with it anyway.

Just found this on the net .... Your neighbour's fence is too high. This complaint usually arises when your neighbour's land stands above your own land. The offending fence may be less than 2 metres high when viewed from your neighbour's land, but its height is increased (by the height of the retaining wall or bank) when viewed from your side.
There is nothing you can do about this as the height of the fence is measured from the level of the ground on which it stands.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back